Cuisine at home Forums
Granola 'Trifle' - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Granola 'Trifle' (/showthread.php?tid=58324)

Granola 'Trifle' - cjs - 06-08-2008

I'm not big on granola so I hope you all can help me with a dish I want to make for a wedding brunch. I was thinking of doing granola 'parfaits' - but in a trifle bowl rather than individual servings.

Layering the granola with kiwi and pineapple and topping this with a mixture of cream cheese and yogurt. This combination of fruit would hold up on a buffet, but are there other combinations some of you prefer fruit-wise? And, would this hold up in a large bowl rather than individual dishes?

Any granola help would be appreciated. Here's a recipe for granola that I found that looks good - anyone have a dynamite one?

4 1/2 c rolled oats
3 c sunflower seeds
3 c almonds, chopped
1 c safflower oil
1/2 c malt syrup extract
1/2 c maple syrup
1 T. vanilla
1 1/2 T. cinnamon
1/2 T. almond extract
pinch of ground cloves

sounds good to me, but I'm really not a fan of this.

Re: Granola 'Trifle' - smschwag - 06-08-2008

I have made this one from Ina Garten's show and it was very good. I made it as individual parfaits so I cannot vouch for how it would be as a Trifle.

1 cup quick-cooking (not instant) rolled oats
1/2 cup sweetened, shredded coconut
1/2 cup sliced or slivered almonds
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons good honey
8 to 10 strawberries, small-diced
1/2 cup blueberries
1/4 pineapple, small-diced
2 cups plain yogurt

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Toss the oats, coconut, almonds, oil, and honey together in a large bowl until they are completely combined. Pour onto a sheet pan and bake, stirring occasionally with a spatula, until the mixture turns a nice, even golden brown, about 20 minutes.

Remove the granola from the oven and allow to cool, stirring once.

Combine the strawberries, blueberries, and pineapple in a bowl. In 4 ice cream sundae glasses, layer first the fruit, then the yogurt, and the cooled granola alternately until you fill the glasses. Serve with a long spoon.

Re: Granola 'Trifle' - cjs - 06-08-2008

Thanks Shirley - I've been searching thru different food sites looking for ideas and ran across a gal who did exactly what I'm looking to do. She posted a review with her email address, so I emailed her - I feel like a stalker, I sure hope she doesn't think I am

I did see the granola recipe of Ina's while I was roaming around and it does look like a good one and I trust her recipes. Thanks for posting it.

Do you prefer making your own granola to buying it? I just don't really know much about it at all.

Re: Granola 'Trifle' - esgunn - 06-08-2008

Jean, One thing to keep in mind, is sometimes acidic fruit and make yogurt runny.

Ï am not too "up" on granola either. I have never purchased granola in the store, but I have made my own version for the Parfait and a couple of times other that that for my granddaughters. This is what I made. It is really very simple to make and quite good.

3 cups rolled oats
1 cup chopped Pecans
1 cup chopped Walnuts
1/4 cup Sesame Seeds
1 cup raw sunflower seeds
1 cup shredded sweet coconut
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons Honey (I used Wild Flower Honey but use regular clover honey if that’s what you have)
1/4 cup canola or other vegetable oil
3/4 teaspoon salt
Mixed dried fruits (i.e. raisins, cranberries, cherries, apricots or whatever you like)

Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.

In a large bowl, combine the oats, nuts, coconut, and brown sugar.

In a separate bowl, combine honey, oil, and salt. Combine both mixtures and pour onto 2 sheet pans, spreading into a single layer. Cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes to achieve an even color.

Remove from oven and transfer into a large bowl. Add the dried fruit and mix until evenly distributed.

Re: Granola 'Trifle' - cjs - 06-08-2008

Thanks Shirley - oh, good thought, Erin, there goes the pineapple...

Re: Granola 'Trifle' - Gourmet_Mom - 06-08-2008

You know, I've tried store brand a time or two and never really liked it. But looking at Shirley's recipe, I think I may have to give a go. I'm positive homemade would be much better. Thanks!

Jean, I was gonna mention not liking pineapple in the parfait anyway. How about strawberries, blueberries, kiwi, and peaches? Is there a way to keep bananas from turning in something like this? But not with the peaches I don't think. I'm trying to remember what I used to put on my fruit pizzas....been a long time. I think I'll have to make that again...after I try the granola and the parfaits...YUM!

Oh and seedless grapes.

Oh, by the way, I didn't add the dried fruits to the granola that I put in the parfaits since there were fresh fruits in it already. The dried fruit was a good addition when it was just granola.

Re: Granola 'Trifle' - cjs - 06-10-2008

Tested all three granolas yesterday and had neighbors help decide which to use for the brunch - of the three, Laura, yours was the hands down winner! It's just delicious. Coming in 2nd was the recipe I found somewhere, except that it was much sweeter and would be great as a dessert type dish. No way could I find 'malt syrup extract' in this burg, we used to use it for making beer, but no luck here. Subbed dark karo syrup for it - so really not a fair test, I guess.

Ina's came in a distand third! So, I'm going with yours and thanks so much for posting the recipe.

Re: Granola 'Trifle' - Gourmet_Mom - 06-10-2008

Okay, since I don't "see" a post from Laura on here, I'm guessing you're talking about Shirley's second recipe? The one NOT from Ina?