Cuisine at home Forums
HELP!! lemon jelly roll page 50 anyone? - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: HELP!! lemon jelly roll page 50 anyone? (/showthread.php?tid=58463)

HELP!! lemon jelly roll page 50 anyone? - Rotts - 06-10-2008

Hi everyone, I'm new to this so thanks for bearing with me...I took a copy of my lemon jelly roll recipe with me that I've always wanted to make...(June 2005) and I only have pages 47/48 and 49 and I've already started mixing and dicing!!!...can anyone help me out with page 50? I'm not sure what to do after I've simmered my syrup, diced strawberries and bloomed gelatin...!! I can't believe I left the rest of this recipe home. thank you if anyone can help!
Laura

Re: HELP!! lemon jelly roll page 50 anyone? - Gourmet_Mom - 06-10-2008

Welcome Rotts! I hope you will join us often when you get past your crisis and get home from vacation(?). This is a very fun, helpful group. Hang in there, somebody with member's plus will be along shortly.

Re: HELP!! lemon jelly roll page 50 anyone? - Rotts - 06-10-2008

Hi Daphne, thanks so much, yes I am on vacation! I love this magazine, I love baking and I've just recently started my hand at cooking...the "wellness" of meats, chickens, etc always intimidates me a little as no matter what kind of meat I cook it never seems to be tender... thanks again, I look forward to doing a little more baking and cooking now that I've cut back my hours to about 40/45 a week!!
Laura

Re: HELP!! lemon jelly roll page 50 anyone? - cjs - 06-10-2008

Hi there - sorry it took so long, just checking in. Here you go.

Lemon Jelly Roll with Strawberries and Cream
(Cuisine at home, June 2005, Issue 51, p. 49)

Makes: One 16" Long Cake Total Time: About 1 1/2 Hours + Chilling Rating: Intermediate

For the Cake—
Combine:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 t. baking powder
1/4 t. table salt

Blend; Whisk Dry Ingredients into:
4 egg yolks
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup water
2 t. lemon extract
Minced zest of 1 lemon

Beat and Gradually Add; Fold into Batter:
4 egg whites
1/4 cup sugar

For the Syrup—
Simmer:
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice, strained
1/4 cup sugar
Minced zest of 1 lemon

For the Filling—
Dice:
1 1/2 cups fresh strawberries

Bloom in 2 T. Cold Water; Melt:
2 t. unflavored gelatin

Beat; Drizzle in:
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1/4 cup sugar
1 t. vanilla extract
Cooled melted gelatin

Serve Cake with:
Sweetened whipped cream, strawberries, and fresh mint

Preheat oven to 350°. Coat a 13 x 18" baking sheet with 1"-high sides with nonstick spray; line it with parchment and spray again.

Combine dry ingredients.

Blend yolks, oil, water, lemon extract, and zest in a large bowl. Gradually whisk flour mixture into yolk-oil mixture until smooth.

Beat egg whites in a bowl with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until frothy.Gradually add 1/4 cup sugar to the whites and continue beating until they’re shiny and hold firm peaks as beaters are lifted out. Whisk 1/3 of the beaten whites into the batter to lighten it; gently fold in the remaining whites with a whisk. Pour batter onto the prepared baking sheet. Tilt the pan to evenly spread the batter (using a spatula can deflate the whites), then bake the cake 12–13 minutes, or until just set. Cool to room temperature on a rack. As the cake cools, prepare the syrup and fillings.

Simmer syrup ingredients in a saucepan over medium-high heat until thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.

Dice strawberries for the filling.

Bloom gelatin in cold water, then melt it in a small skillet of warm water over medium heat.

Beat cream with sugar and vanilla until it just begins to thicken. Drizzle in the cooled melted gelatin and beat until cream is stiff (less than 1 minute). The cream will not appear smooth. To assemble the jelly roll, first heavily dust a large sheet of parchment paper with powdered sugar. Run a knife around the sides of the cake to loosen it, then invert onto the parchment. Carefully peel off the baking paper. Once cooled, the lemon syrup should have the consistency of maple syrup. With a pastry brush, lightly dab the syrup over the cake—since there’s not a lot of it (about 1/3 cup), use it all. Spread the prepared whipped cream over the cake, pushing it all the way to the left and right sides. Leave 1" margins along the long sides to keep filling from oozing out as the cake is rolled. Arrange the diced strawberries over the entire surface of the cream. Be sure they’re cut fairly small—big chunks will make rolling difficult and cause filling to squish out the sides. To roll, lift the paper and gently but quickly roll the cake to the other side. Wrap cake loosely in the parchment, transfer to a baking sheet, and chill at least 4 hours in order to set the filling.

To serve, unwrap the cake, sprinkle it with more powdered sugar, and trim off the end pieces (there’s usually not a lot of filling there). Slice the cake at a slight diagonal into 1"-thick pieces using a sharp, thin-bladed knife. Garnish each serving with additional whipped cream, berries, and a sprig of mint.

Re: HELP!! lemon jelly roll page 50 anyone? - labradors - 06-10-2008

Rotts, welcome to the forum! You'll find lots of great information here. Hope you can join us more often and contribute to the fun.

Re: HELP!! lemon jelly roll page 50 anyone? - Gourmet_Mom - 06-10-2008

Thanks Jean! I know Billy would have jumped in, but luckily, you got here, hopefully in time.

See Rotts! Hope you're dessert turns out Great!

Re: HELP!! lemon jelly roll page 50 anyone? - Rotts - 06-11-2008

Hi everyone, thank you SO MUCH!!!! It came out looking absoulutely beautiful...I'm serving it this evening and I'm so excited!!! Everyone here is so helpful, I am so inspired and hope to be "value added" to others! Although, I will admit I feel like an amateur when I read some of the posts! (I didn't even know what blooming gelatin meant until yesterday, LOL....)

My three Rotties were just drooling (and sweeping the floors for any fallen morsels) last evening when I finished it up

THANK YOU AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: HELP!! lemon jelly roll page 50 anyone? - labradors - 06-11-2008

Quote:

My three Rotties were just drooling (and sweeping the floors for any fallen morsels) last evening when I finished it up

LOL! Of course, you can tell what MY favourite breed is, but I love Rotties, too. They are just the biggest babies (when owned by the right people, instead of the ones who get them just to look "macho"). I knew someone in Florida who bred (now here's a crazy combination to think of having on the same property) Rottweilers, Beaucerons, and Jack Russell Terriers - all great dogs.