Cuisine at home Forums
coke brined chicken - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: coke brined chicken (/showthread.php?tid=59143)

coke brined chicken - ck27 - 06-22-2008

can anyone provide me with the recipe from the June 2007 issue of Cuisine at Home for the Coke Brined Chicken? I made it once and cannot find the issue or the recipe. Help

Re: coke brined chicken - esgunn - 06-22-2008

Here is the recipe that Billy posted for someone a while back. I also bumped the post that it came from.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Coke-brined Grilled Chicken

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : A List Poultry

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
FOR THE CHICKEN AND BRINE--
1 whole chicken (4-6 lb.)
1 liter coca-cola
1/2 cup kosher salt
FOR THE RUB
Combine; rub over chicken and grill:
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon dry mustard
2 teaspoons paprika
SERVE WITH:
Bourbon BBQ or Sweet Carolina Dipping Sauce

Butter fly the chicken. Poke about 6 holes in the underside of each chicken half--this helps the brine to soak deeply into the meat. Combine the Coke and salt in a large resealable plastic bag, stirring to dissolve the salt. Place the chicken halves in the brine, seal the bag, and refrigerate for 2 hours. Preheat the grill to high.

Combine the rub ingredients in a bowl. Remove the chicken from the brine and pat dry with paper towels (discard the brine). Rub the paste over the chicken, then let it stand for 15 minutes.

Turn 1 side of the grill to low (maintain high heat on the other side). Arrange both chicken halves on the low-heat section, skin side down. Top the halves with a cast iron skillet and a brick. Cover and grill for 10 minutes, then rotate the chicken 45°. Reposition the skillet and brick on the chicken; grill for 10 more minutes, or until skin is crispy and brown.

Flip the chicken over and grill, without weight, for 20-30 minutes, or until it's 180° in the thigh.

Serve chicken with dipping sauces.

Source:
"CuisineAtHome, June 2007, pg 7"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

--------------------
Our strength is not lessened by giving utterance to the truth!

Billy

Re: coke brined chicken - bjcotton - 06-22-2008

Welcome ck27! Hope you hang around with us and have some fun.

Erin my darling girl, you are such a sweetheart.

Re: coke brined chicken - cjs - 06-23-2008

Don't forget the sauces that go with this recipe - they are so good! (they're included in the thread Erin pulled up)

Welcome, ck!!