Cuisine at home Forums
using eggplant - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: using eggplant (/showthread.php?tid=59657)

using eggplant - Mare749 - 07-02-2008

Has anyone ever tried using cooked eggplant in meatballs? I came across an interesting recipe that I was thinking of trying. It calls for 2 lbs. of ground meat and 1 pound of cooked egg plant to be added to the mix along with all the usual seasonings.

Re: using eggplant - Old Bay - 07-02-2008

Never thought about it---but , could be interesting. I have no idea what the 2-1 meatball would resemble--it might need a serious panko or cornmeal coating and browning before the next step--could be very tasty--I love eggplant.

Re: using eggplant - labradors - 07-03-2008

Have heard of it, but don't remember where.

Re: using eggplant - cjs - 07-03-2008

That does sound interesting - hope you try and let us know.

Re: using eggplant - Mare749 - 07-03-2008

I will be trying it this next week. It's from an old Frugal Gourmet cookbook (I know, I know....) that I was browsing through the other night before going to sleep.
I'm thinking it will be a very moist meatball. Anyway, I will post a review and recipe if it's good.

Re: using eggplant - farnfam - 07-03-2008

I bet it will be good Maryann, there would just be the problem of not eating all the eggplant up immediately after it was cooked. In my house it would never ever make it to the meatballs
Cis
Empress for Life

Re: using eggplant - Mare749 - 07-03-2008

I know what you mean, Cis, but this recipe sounds awfully good, so I'm going to restrain myself. After mixing up the meatballs, eggplant and all the seasonings, the meatballs are browned, then put into a baking dish with pasta sauce, sprinkled with parmesan, then topped with slices of muenster and baked till hot. Doesn't that sound tasty?

Re: using eggplant - cjs - 07-04-2008

sounds decadent!!

Re: using eggplant - Gourmet_Mom - 07-04-2008

I can't wait to hear about your results. My three little plants are about ready to bear fruit and my crowd said they didn't really like my "salad" that I made a while back. Made in meatballs would definitely make them more usefull.