Cuisine at home Forums
Thursday's Menu?? - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Thursday's Menu?? (/showthread.php?tid=59875)

Thursday's Menu?? - cjs - 07-09-2008

I have some leftover halibut from last night, and that 'Blitz bread' Cis mentioned sounds so good, guess I'll do something with halibut sandwiches...

The remoulade for the shrimp & oyster po'boys (Sandwiches & Salads book) sounds good with it. Might have to pick up some watermelon.

What are you all up to?

Re: Thursday's Menu?? - bjcotton - 07-09-2008

At this point in the day, I really couldn't tell ya. Waiting for my tagine and cookbooks

Re: Thursday's Menu?? - Harborwitch - 07-09-2008

Bob was sick of pork - had pulled pork for lunch yesterday and the day before. Meatloaf and Mac & cheese last night. I am thinking of chili verdi enchiladas or empanadas tonight. We can bake them out on the grill. I'll have him grab some romaine and we'll have a big salad.

Tomorrow poor Bob gets a liquid diet - time for his big checkup Friday.

Re: Thursday's Menu?? - Gourmet_Mom - 07-09-2008

UH....I know I've been a little distracted lately, but isn't today Wednesday?

I hate being broke....I get to play the-"let's see how cheaply dinner can be done game"! We had a couple unexpected expenses and well...you get the idea.

Last night, I bought a couple cans of tomatoes, the ones from the garden were used for pizza Sunday, and took the sausage I forgot to put with the shrimp Friday and our leftover chicken from Monday and made a gumbo/stew with rice. I've not got a clue for tonight! Last night's menu was inspired by desperation, since the dinner hour was closing in FAST!

Re: Thursday's Menu?? - cjs - 07-09-2008

"UH....I know I've been a little distracted lately, but isn't today Wednesday?" so....what's your point??

Desperation sometimes makes for the best meals ever!!!

Re: Thursday's Menu?? - Harborwitch - 07-09-2008

Yes - today is Wednesday, tomorrow is Thursday and Bob gets a liquid diet all day with "special" before bed treats. Friday is the Dr. Tonight he gets a good dinner!

Re: Thursday's Menu?? - Trixxee - 07-09-2008

I'm making "Cuban Chicken Pizzas" but in reality I think they will morph into tacos for easy holding and handling.

Re: Thursday's Menu?? - farnfam - 07-09-2008

Those sound mighty interesting Trix, could you share the recipe?? Please?
Cis
Empress for Life

Re: Thursday's Menu?? - Trixxee - 07-09-2008

Sure thing. I haven't made them yet so I can't quite vouch for them for another hour or so! I got this from Cooking Light but I will not be going THAT light (like fat free tortillas and cooking spray).

Cuban Chicken Pizza

Flour tortillas pinch-hit as a crisp crust for this hearty pizza loaded with chicken and vegetables. Toasting the corn in a skillet brings out its natural sweetness and adds a deliciously smoky note.

4 (8-inch) fat free flour tortillas
Cooking spray
1 (11-ounce) can no salt-added whole-kernel corn, drained
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
2 cups diced roasted chicken breast
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 garlic clove, minced
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
3/4 cup Monterey Jack cheese with jalapeño peppers
4 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro

Preheat oven to 350°.
Place flour tortillas on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes or until edges are light brown. Remove from the oven; stack and press down to flatten. Set aside.

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; coat pan with cooking spray. Add corn to pan, and cook 1 minute or until lightly charred. Add cumin seeds; cook 5 seconds, stirring constantly. Add chicken, black beans, and garlic; cook 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Remove from heat; stir in lime juice.

Place tortillas on baking sheet. Spoon 3/4 cup bean mixture onto each tortilla; top each with 3 tablespoons of cheese. Bake at 350° for 2 minutes or until the cheese melts. Sprinkle each pizza with 1 teaspoon cilantro.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 pizza)

CALORIES 460 (20% from fat); FAT 10.2g (sat 4.8g,mono 2.9g,poly 1.7g); IRON 3.6mg; CHOLESTEROL 78mg; CALCIUM 210mg; CARBOHYDRATE 54.3g; SODIUM 760mg; PROTEIN 37.7g; FIBER 8.4g

Cooking Light, DECEMBER 2004

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=833358

Re: Thursday's Menu?? - cjs - 07-10-2008

sounds like an easy, fast dinner - and tasty also! One of my favorite combinations - black beans and corn. We're having black bean & corn salad tonight as a matter of fact.