Cuisine at home Forums
Pine Nut Dilemma - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Pine Nut Dilemma (/showthread.php?tid=59940)

Pine Nut Dilemma - Gourmet_Mom - 07-10-2008

William only got one pack (1/2 cup), when I asked for two packs to make a double batch of pesto. What would you do? I have walnuts, almonds, and pecans....or I could just make half a batch and hope I have enough.

Re: Pine Nut Dilemma - farnfam - 07-10-2008

Hmmm, I think I would add walnuts (chopped) and make the full batch. It can't change the flavor that much, Daph, and it'd be better than not having enuff
Cis
Empress for Life

Re: Pine Nut Dilemma - HomeCulinarian - 07-10-2008

I'd make one batch with the pignoles and the other with walnuts.

Re: Pine Nut Dilemma - bjcotton - 07-10-2008

I'd send William back to the store But if that is not going to happen, I'd do what Cis said.

Re: Pine Nut Dilemma - Lorraine - 07-10-2008

They are so outrageously expensive here, that sometimes, I don't add them at all. I'd save the pecans and candy them.

Re: Pine Nut Dilemma - Old Bay - 07-10-2008

I'd take the freshest (oiliest) of the nuts and mix them with the pine nuts--thats what you're looking for--oil!! Otherwise go get some more pine nuts--it will be good , regardless.

Re: Pine Nut Dilemma - cjs - 07-11-2008

So, what did you do????

Re: Pine Nut Dilemma - Gourmet_Mom - 07-11-2008

I wish my internet hadn't gone out AGAIN yesterday. I went with the almonds...the one with the least amount of oil. HMMMMMM? Good point on that Bill!

I saved the pine nuts to toss with the finished product (Creamy Pesto Pasta with Chicken) so you could get their full flavor and just used ALL almonds in the pesto. I don't think it made a BIG difference, but I want to try making pesto again with the pine nuts. I LOVE those little things! This is the first time I've had enough basil to actually make it myself. It turned out very good!

Re: Pine Nut Dilemma - luvnit - 07-12-2008

I purchase pine nuts at Sam's to make pesto. You get a really big bag (about the size of a 5 lb. sugar bag) for around $5-$6. I split them with my mom and we make a huge batch of pesto.

Re: Pine Nut Dilemma - cjs - 07-13-2008

and they stay well in the freezer - so you can just grab what you need as you need.