Cuisine at home Forums
What do you use it for? - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: What do you use it for? (/showthread.php?tid=60856)

What do you use it for? - bjcotton - 07-23-2008

I saw this chefs knife at a butcher shop 2 or 3 years ago and had to have it. I finally got it out, I was going to chop a bunch of onions. There was something weird about handling this thing. It was almost impossible to slice the onions before chopping them. I finally discovered what it was...it was a 12" chefs knife. I'd always thought it was a fairly heavy 10" and thought I'd let its weight do most of the chopping. This sword was impossible for me to use..maybe chopping Xmas trees or something would work. I left Jean a message asking her if she wanted it, but haven't heard from her yet. Can't imagine anyone other than a LARGE person using it. Whachu think?

Re: What do you use it for? - Old Bay - 07-24-2008

Billy, we have an 8 and a 10 inch chef's knife--the 10 has limited use, but we like it. 12 inches seems big--maybe sell it to a Japanese steak restraunt or give it to a new, departing Mongolian missionery,or one going into the rainforest. I would love to see it--I'd probably have bought it too!! I know, hang it on the wall--what assumptions people would make about you!! Fear, respect, who knows??

Re: What do you use it for? - Lorraine - 07-24-2008

I had a 12 in one that I gave away. It felt like I was using my Father's scythe.

Re: What do you use it for? - labradors - 07-24-2008

I have two 8s and a 10, and really got used to using the 10 at the restaurant, so I almost find the 8s to be a bit small for me and use the 10 for almost anything, although I do like my santoku.

Re: What do you use it for? - bjcotton - 07-24-2008

I was thinking of dropping it by a Christmas tree farm or giving it to one of the loggers around here

Re: What do you use it for? - cjs - 07-24-2008

Hi there, got the msg. 12" is too large for me also - I have some 10s that I do like. Thanks anyway Mr. Billy!

Re: What do you use it for? - Mare749 - 07-24-2008

Billy, maybe you could list it on Ebay? It's worth a try.

Re: What do you use it for? - chef_Tab - 07-24-2008

Ebay or Craigslist!