Cuisine at home Forums
Butternut Squash? - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Butternut Squash? (/showthread.php?tid=61314)

Butternut Squash? - Gourmet_Mom - 07-31-2008

I wanted to make Jean's Roasted Butternut Squash Penne Al Burro to go with dinner tonight. When shopping for the squash today, I took into consideration that "the boys" always munch on the roasted squash. SOOOOO I picked up a BIG squash...I think I overdid it.

My question is, could I take half the roasted squash and freeze it? I would like to be able to use it in the same recipe. To keep it from squishing, should I flash freeze it flat before putting it through the vacuum? Or should I give up on using it in cubes later and just vacuum it as soon as it cools and use it for soup or something else later?

Re: Butternut Squash? - cjs - 08-01-2008

hmmmm, you might try flash freezing then pkg.

OR
You can take your leftover squash and make these gratins (which are absolutely delicious and are low fat/low cal/low everything) then freeze them for a school night side dish. If you don't have the full 2 lbs. that's ok. also, just half the recipe. Also, if you don't have leeks, I've subbed onions - that's good also. This is such a forgiving dish.

BUTTERNUT SQUASH AND LEEK GRATINS

1 butternut squash -- (2-pound) halved lengthwise and seeded
Cooking spray
1 teaspoon butter
4 cups finely chopped leek (about 6 large)
1 tablespoon sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 Dash ground nutmeg
4 large eggs
1 large egg yolk
1/4 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese -- (1 ounce)

Preheat oven to 375°.
Place squash halves, cut sides down, on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 45 minutes or until tender. Cool 30 minutes. Scoop out pulp, and mash with a potato masher or fork until smooth. (Note: or forget this method and just mash up your leftover squash and go on with recipe.)

Reduce oven temperature to 350°.

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat; coat pan with cooking spray. Melt butter in pan. Add leek; cover and cook 20 minutes or until tender, stirring once. Reduce heat to medium-low; uncover and cook 10 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Cool slightly.

Combine sugar and next 5 ingredients (through egg yolk) in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add squash and leek; stir until well combined. Divide the squash mixture evenly among 6 (6-ounce) ramekins or custard cups coated with cooking spray. Place ramekins in a 13 x 9-inch baking pan; add hot water to pan to a depth of 1 inch. Cover pan with foil; bake at 350° for 25 minutes. Uncover and cook an additional 15 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven, and place the ramekins on a baking sheet.

Sprinkle 2 teaspoons Parmesan cheese over each ramekin.

Preheat broiler.

Broil gratins for 2 minutes or until cheese melts and begins to brown.

Cooking Light, DECEMBER 2004

Description:
"The gratins freeze well also! 3 points"

Re: Butternut Squash? - Gourmet_Mom - 08-01-2008

Yum! Well, I froze them, but I'm tempted to thaw them to make this...LOL! This is saved and ready to use.

These little gratins are sure worth it, Daphne.

BTW, I wanted to ask this last night, but by the time I realized, the site had dropped off the planet.

Am I allergic to these things or has anyone ever had your hands turn scalely (sp?) after peeling and dicing them? My left hand only, the one I held the squash with, looks like I have a mild case of psoriasis....or like my palm is peeling.

Re: Butternut Squash? - Harborwitch - 08-01-2008

OMG - I think that is going to have to show up on the menu VERY soon!! Thank you - now to check and see if butternut squash is on the food list.

Re: Butternut Squash? - Trixxee - 08-01-2008

I've printed this too - I already have the leeks. I will try to make these tomorrow to go with grilled steaks. I'm tired of the usual sides.

Hey, I bet this recipe came out of the same issue that has a spaghetti squash/ricotta/marinara in ramekins recipe - which was very good by the way (I used homemade sauce).

Re: Butternut Squash? - labradors - 08-01-2008

Butternut squash and leeks work very well together, and this sound like no exception. No problem getting great leeks - just need to find out if any butternut squash is in stock.

Wow, Daphne, I'd let it clear up and then try again with another b. squash. I'm assuming you wash them well before working with.

It's funny...it's wearing off slowly through the day. It's almost like it left a "residue" on my skin that dried...you know...kinda like when you used to smear glue on your hand and then peel it off? By the time I got the whole squash peeled, the flesh was "weeping". (It was THAT big!) So I'm thinking it was a residue that just stayed with me.