Cuisine at home Forums
For "Mom" and the daring types... - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: For "Mom" and the daring types... (/showthread.php?tid=62535)

For "Mom" and the daring types... - firechef - 08-14-2008

In case you can't find Andouille sausage you can always try this...

Andouille Sausage Recipe

5# Pork (I prefer a Boston Butt) Trimmed of tough connective tissue and cut into 2 inch cubes.

Combine the following in a bowl:
2 tsp of Cayenne or to taste (Remember, if you make it too hot, every dish you make with it will be too hot! Start off with a little, you can add more after you taste the finished seasoning)
1 Tbsp Paprika
1/4 Cup Chopped Fresh Garlic
1/8 Cup Fresh Ground Black Pepper
3 Tbsp Kosher Salt
1 Tbsp Fresh Thyme leaves, chopped
1 tsp Crushed Red Pepper
1 healthy pinch of Prague Powder#1 (see note) (optional)
1/2 Cup Ice Water

Toss this mixture with the meat, making sure it is well coated. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1-2 days.

**Note - Prague Powder#1 is used for wet curing meats, to retain color and freshness. It is a ratio of 16 oz. salt to 1 ounce sodium nitrate.

Chop half of the meat into 1/4 inch pieces and grind the other half with a coarse grinding plate. Mix the two together with:

1/8 Cup Non-Fat Powdered Milk (this is a binder)

Stuff the sausage into prepared Hog Casings (Beef middle casings if you can find them).

Tie each sausage link with kitchen string to make a loop for hanging. Hang uncovered in the refrigerator overnight. This step is to let the casings dry out to allow smoke absorption, very important.

I smoked this in an inexpensive upright barrel smoker, with charcoal as the heat source, and unsoaked Pecan chips for the smoke. The sausage was beneath the top rack, no water pan.

I smoked this at 130º F for 2 hours, then increased the heat to 165 º F for another 2 1/2 hours, refreshing the wood chips as needed. The trick here, is to get as much smoke flavor into the sausage before it is actually cooked through, and too hot of a temperature will render the fat out of your sausage. I controlled the temp by the number of coals, and keeping them piled up and pushed to one side. When you spread your coals out the temperature will increase. I added more coals to reach the 165º mark.

The internal temperature of the sausage should read 155º F on an instant read thermometer. Remove at this point and immediately spray with cold water. Hang at room temperature in front of a fan for 1 hour then refrigerate overnight, uncovered.

Portion and store in vacuum sealed packages in the freezer.

There you go a recipe for Andouille in case you can't find any. I got this at nolacuisine.com.

Re: For "Mom" and the daring types... - Gourmet_Mom - 08-14-2008

OKAY, I'm glad you brought this up. It's kinda wierd actually, because I was thinking of this question and sausage making JUST yesterday. I finally went to check out the Spice House to start my wish list even.

I tried making mild Italian sausage twice. The first time was a complete loss. I should have listened to others. But the second, I had a tried and true recipe and was still not completely satisfied. I think it's the paprika I used. I have a Hungarian Sweet. Do I need to get a different variety or better grade, like from The Spice House, before I make sausage again this fall?

Re: For "Mom" and the daring types... - firechef - 08-14-2008

I don't use Sweet Paprika unless the recipe calls for it specifically. Same with Smoked Paprika. I use straight up "Paprika" according to the jar. Might be the same but in my mind they are as different as night and day and jalapenos and Lucky Charms.