Cuisine at home Forums
OT - Before You Buy - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: OT - Before You Buy (/showthread.php?tid=62723)

OT - Before You Buy - bjcotton - 08-15-2008

I have an old HP LaserJet 5L printer. It recently began picking up several pages at a time, printing most of whatever on the first page and the last 1/3 on the last page. I've had it in for repairs and cleaning before and having that done cost about the same as a new small LaserJet. So I went and bought a new one. The salesman asked what my old one was doing and then sold me a package of cleaning sheets for $12. He said this ought to fix your problem...it did, so now I have 2 All-in-One OfficeJets, 2 LaserJets and 3 computers. So, before you buy a new LaserJet, get a package of the cleaner sheets and try those. Maybe it'll fix (some) of your problems too. I'm told the old laser needs extra memory, but they don't make it for them anymore.

Re: OT - Before You Buy - Gourmet_Mom - 08-15-2008

GEE, thanks Billy! I'll check into that. Mine does that from time to time as well!

Re: OT - Before You Buy - DFen911 - 08-15-2008

If you can reach the pickup rollers a Q-tip with rubbing alcohol works too. Just wipe em down.

Re: OT - Before You Buy - Gourmet_Mom - 08-15-2008

Hey, cool! I'll try that first. I don't get into Wilmington that often, so I'll try this for now! Thanks!

Re: OT - Before You Buy - cjs - 08-15-2008

thanks for bringing this up, Billy - mine does it sporatically also.

Re: OT - Before You Buy - Corinne - 08-18-2008

Are you KIDDING ME? I just bought a new Canon because my HP was doing the exact same thing. My computer guy charges $40 just to evaluate and with prices nowadays on new equipment, we decided to just buy a new one. But the HP fax was acting up, too. I could send but not receive.

Ok, I'll try the suggested repair and if it's fixed, I'll give the old HP to some charitable organization. They can fix the fax if they desire.

Lol, maybe I'll give the new Canon away. I loved the HP before it began to act up. I'm not used to the Canon yet.

Re: OT - Before You Buy - bjcotton - 08-18-2008

I got the new HP LaserJet from Costco for $99.99, but it doesn't have a fax function, it's just a printer. My all-in-ones (I have 2) both have fax, etc., and they work wonderfully. I have the HP Laser just for printing black & white like recipes & letters. It's cheaper than the all-in-ones to use it to print that stuff.