Cuisine at home Forums
Ropa Vieja Stew Review - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Ropa Vieja Stew Review (/showthread.php?tid=63951)

Ropa Vieja Stew Review - cjs - 08-29-2008

from Soups, Stews, & Chilies book

This has really been a week for winners and this one sure is! The flavors are wonderful and the spicy mashed sweet potatoes were just made for this. And it's such a pretty dish. We both overate...

Re: Ropa Vieja Stew Review - Lorraine - 08-29-2008

You had me at "sweet potatoes", Jean. Thanks for the review. I think I'll unpack that issue, I have company all next week.

Re: Ropa Vieja Stew Review - cjs - 08-29-2008

I kept picking at the sweet tatoes-they are that good!

Re: Ropa Vieja Stew Review - Gourmet_Mom - 08-29-2008

Darned if there's not another one in the new issue. I'll have to check this out. I MAY be able to get over my last detour and give this dish another try.

Re: Ropa Vieja Stew Review - Mare749 - 08-29-2008

Thanks Jean, that was the first dish to catch my eye in the new issue. Will put it on the menu for this coming week.

Re: Ropa Vieja Stew Review - pjcooks - 08-29-2008

I'm assuming this is the same one as in the new issue, since I don't have that book. It looks pretty good to me, can't wait for some company to show up to try it out!

PJ

Re: Ropa Vieja Stew Review - Gourmet_Mom - 08-29-2008

Quote:

I'm assuming this is the same one as in the new issue, since I don't have that book.

If not, please advise!

Re: Ropa Vieja Stew Review - esgunn - 08-29-2008

Jean reviewed the Ropa Vieja STEW with Spicy Mashed sweet potatoes. From the Soups Stews and Chilies book

The one in the new issue is a Ropa Vieja POT PIE with pepper jack biscuits.

The pot pie is a little different. More Red Pepper(2 cup vs 1 cup) 1 poblano and 1 anaheim instead of 2 poblanos. 1 Tbsp Chili powder, 1/4 tsp cayene, 1/8 tsp cinnamon, 2 cups roma tomatoes and is served with juice of 1/2 a lime and the pepper jack biscuits.

The stew has the different amounts and minus the additional things menioned above. It is served with scallions and Spicy Mashed Sweet Potatoes.

I did not read through the directions to see if the method was the same or not. Oh, and the amount of Flank Steak is a little different. The pot pies take about an hour longer.

Re: Ropa Vieja Stew Recipe - esgunn - 08-29-2008

Since Everyone has the Pot pie recipe (well, those that get the magazine) I'll post the stew recipe.

Ropa Vieja Stew
Makes 8 cups
Total Time: 1 3/4 hours
C@H Soups Stews and Chilies Book

Saute;Brown; Add
4 strips thick-sliced bacon, diced
1 3/4 LB flank Steak, cut into 3 pieces, seasoned with salt and pepper
2 cups onion, chopped
2 poblano Chiles, seeded, sliced
1 red bell pepper, seeded, sliced
2 T. garlic, minced
1 T. tomato paste
1/3 cup masa harina

Deglaze with; Stir In:
1 bottle beer (12oz)
2 cups beef broth
1 can black beans, drained, rinsed (15 oz)
1/2 cup pimiento-stuffed olives, sliced
1 T. dried oregano leaves
2 t. ground cumin
salt to taste

Garnish with:
Chopped scallions

Preheat oven to 375.
Saute bacon in a large ovenproof pot over medium-high heat until crisp; transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and set aside. Brown steak in drippings, about 5 minutes per side, remove and set aside. Add onion, chilies, and bell pepper, and saute until beginning to brown, 5 minutes. Stir in a garlic and tomato paste, cook 3 minutes, then stir in masa harina and cook 1 minute.

Deglaze with beer;simmer until nearly evaporated, scraping any bits from the bottom of the pot. Add broth, bring to a boil, then return beef to the pot;cover and braise in the oven until fork-tender; about 1 hour. remove flank steak from the pot, shred with 2 forkes, then add back to the pot with reserved bacon, beans, olives and spices. Simmer 5 minutes; season with salt. Garnish with scallions.

Spicy sweet potatoes
Makes about 4 cups
Total Time 35 minutes.
C@H Soups Stews and Chilies Book

2 lb sweet potatoes, peeled, cubed.
3 T. unsalted butter
1 T. brown sugar
1 jalapeno, seeded, minced.
Salt and pepper to taste
sliced jalapenos

Boil potatoes in a large saucepan of salted water until tender, about 15 mintues. Drain, return potatoes to pan and dry briefly over medium heat, stirring constantly. Mash butter and sugar int o potatloes using a potato masher.
Stir in minuced jalapeno and season with salt and pepper. Garnish potatoes with sliced jalapeno.

The book show a picture of the bowl full of stew, and a small mound of the mashed potatoes in the stew. With the scalions spinkled on top.

Re: Ropa Vieja Stew Review - Old Bay - 08-30-2008

This is one dish from this issue I will sure try!! I don't do sweet potatoes though, except in pie--once a year.