Cuisine at home Forums
Substituting Honey for part of sugar in a recipe - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Substituting Honey for part of sugar in a recipe (/showthread.php?tid=64552)

Substituting Honey for part of sugar in a recipe - smschwag - 09-06-2008

I have a great recipe for Oatmeal Raisen Cookies that has both brown sugar and granulated sugar in it. I would like to substitute honey for some of the sugar. What adjustments have to be made to the other ingredients and baking etc.? I tried using a couple tbsp of honey for a couple tbsp of granulated sugar but the cookie spread too much and got too dark when baked.

Re: Substituting Honey for part of sugar in a recipe - pjcooks - 09-06-2008

From The Kitchen Companion, 1 1/4 cups sugar and 1/4 cup water can be substituted for 1 cup of honey. Based on that for a guideline, could you make it work? I suppose some liquid should be removed from the recipe but cookies never have much to begin with.

Hmmm, guess I'm not too much help after all

PJ

Re: Substituting Honey for part of sugar in a recipe - farnfam - 09-06-2008

JMHO, but as for cookies the sugar makes the texture etc. so I wouldn't sub it for those. Sub honey for sugar in something that is more forgiving, like a shake or a dressing
Cis

Re: Substituting Honey for part of sugar in a recipe - smschwag - 09-06-2008

I figured that I should cut down on the liquid to sub honey but the only liquid in the recipe is 2 eggs. I didn't want to cut back on them so that's why I tried just the 2 tbsp but even that made a big change in the texture of the cookies. I was just trying to make them a little healthier for a very health conscious person I know. But unless someone here comes up with a good idea of how to do it I think I will take Cis' advice and not mess with a good thing. Thanks for the help.

Re: Substituting Honey for part of sugar in a recipe - cjs - 09-06-2008

All this non-baker knows is that it really is difficult to mess with the cookies and sugar. I guess I'd go with Cis also.

Where you been, Shirley - we haven't seen you forever!!

Re: Substituting Honey for part of sugar in a recipe - farnfam - 09-06-2008

A possible suggestion for your health conscious person; you might try subbing raw sugar for some of it. They say that is healthier and it won't affect the cookie texture etc. As for myself, cookies make me very happy and that has to be healthy
Cis

Re: Substituting Honey for part of sugar in a recipe - chef_Tab - 09-06-2008

I use organic unbleached sugar and put in ground flax seed,nuts, and oats to make my cookies a bit healthier. Another option, if you are just looking for a healthy treat, is go to the Kashi website for recipes. They have one called "haystacks" that is really good.

Re: Substituting Honey for part of sugar in a recipe - Old Bay - 09-06-2008

Jean, I offer no advice on baking issues--my degree is in chemistry (I don't use it any more), but my motto is "cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy (magic)"

Re: Substituting Honey for part of sugar in a recipe - smschwag - 09-07-2008

Jean, I have been sick all summer. I was in the hospital for 4 days then in a nursing home for rehab for 4 weeks. After that I had physical therapy as an out-patient for 6 weeks. I have a problem with my equiliberium and had to get my balance centered and learn to walk again.

Re: Substituting Honey for part of sugar in a recipe - farnfam - 09-07-2008

Sorry to hear that Shirley. Sounds like an awful summer. Hope you're doing better now.
Cis