Cuisine at home Forums
Sambal Olek? - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Sambal Olek? (/showthread.php?tid=64826)

Sambal Olek? - carolekv - 09-10-2008

Okay, another one of my crazy questions - does anyone know of some good recipes for using a Thai (I think) hot sauce called Sambal Olek? My stepson has raved about this sauce, so I finally found it and now, google isn't showing me any good recipes to try. I'd guess I can just try some kind of stir fry and throw it in, but would like to see if it works with things like coconut milk, etc. I love Thai food! Thx!

Re: Sambal Olek? - bjcotton - 09-10-2008

I wasn't sure exactly what Sambal Oelek was Carole, so I didn't comment on it. The next recipe I entered (Asian Barbecued Pork with Sweet Tart Sauce) in MasterCook called for it, so I guess I'll be waiting for an answer along with you.

Re: Sambal Olek? - chef_Tab - 09-10-2008

Carole, the only recipe I have made thus far(I am relatively new here) that called for Sambal Olek was Spicy Pickled Vegetables. It was a recommended side dish for Korean Beef Bulgogi. I was unable to find Sambal Olek and substituted Thai chili paste. It was in issue 70. It did not have coconut milk in it tho. Good luck to you!

Re: Sambal Olek? - Roxanne 21 - 09-10-2008

Good question---I have a tiny jar of this Sambal Olek in my spice cupboard---I JUST KNOW that I saw a recipe SOMEWHERE calling for this----GEESH!!!! Curiouser and curiouser

I will check--I think it was in one of my Indian recipe books....haven't been there for a while!

Re: Sambal Olek? - iBcookin - 09-10-2008

I just tend to throw it in stuff that I am making - stir fry, used some in my meat loaf, a pasta primavera, just about anything. Chelsea made me get some when we were shopping at school with her. I found that I liked that more than tabasco, not vinegary like tabasco is, but still provides a little heat.

Re: Sambal Olek? - bjcotton - 09-10-2008

Here's a recipe I found:

Sambal Oelek (Indonesian Spice)

Recipe By : Jill Norman * Web File 4/97
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Mixes and Spices Oriental / Far East Indonesian

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
250 g (8 oz) fresh red chilies
1 tsp salt
1 tsp soft brown sugar

Jars of sambal can be bought in many Oriental shops and in some delicatessens, but it is quite easy to make your own, especially with a food processor. This is the most basic sambal. To make other sambals, ingredients such as trassi or blachan, a firm paste made of rotted shrimp, and candlenuts are added to the mix.

Heat a heavy frying pan and put in the chilies after 2-3 minutes. Dry roast over a medium heat for a few minutes. Cool, then chop finely and pound to a paste with the salt and sugar. The chili seeds may be taken out, or left in if you want a really fiery relish. The sambal will keep for a week or so in a jar in the refrigerator.

Another one:

Homemade Sambal Oelek

A staple in Malaysian and Thai cooking. Oelek means grinding so sambal oelek means ground chilli sambal! This can also be frozen.

Ingredients
1 lb red chilies
5 1/2 ounces garlic, peeled and chopped
5 1/2 ounces tender young ginger, peeled and chopped
2 stalks lemongrass, thinly sliced (white part only)
6 fluid ounces vinegar
8 ounces sugar
salt, to taste
1 tablespoon lime zest, chopped
Directions
Blend the chillies, garlic, ginger and lemon grass in a food processor or mortar and pestle.

While processing gradually add the vinegar.

Place the pureed mixture into a saucepan and bring to a boil.

Reduce the heat and simmer for 3 minutes.

Add the sugar and stir until dissolved.

Add the salt and lime zest.

Remove from the heat, cool and bottle in sterilised jars.

Re: Sambal Olek? - carolekv - 09-11-2008

Oh, I found the Thai Basil Chicken recipe in the first Weeknight recipe magazine and I bet I could use this instead of jalapenos in it! I'll try and let you all know...

Re: Sambal Olek? - cjs - 09-12-2008

How funny, I did a search on MasterCook for recipes I've made using it and nothing came up. I go thru a jar every year or so, so I know I use it often....guess I've never entered the recipes in M.C. Will have to check some of my cookbooks.

Re: Sambal Olek? - carolekv - 09-12-2008

Oh, the recipe I found didn't actually have Sambal Olek in it, but I figured I could use it instead of the jalapenos that it does call for. I have a funny issue between my stomach and jalapenos anyway - never totally understood it, but my stomach hates those things, regardless of what my tastebuds say! Somehow, other hot things aren't quite as bad.

Re: Sambal Olek? - bjcotton - 09-12-2008

Shame on you Jean, not recording recipes in MC.