Cuisine at home Forums
Habanero Gold Jelly Weekend - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Habanero Gold Jelly Weekend (/showthread.php?tid=65028)

Pages: 1 2

Habanero Gold Jelly Weekend - Lorraine - 09-14-2008

The peppers were finally starting to ripen, so we decided to blitz it this weekend. I was way more organized than usual. Friday night he cleaned and cut the habs. I cut and soaked the dried apricots, cut and measured everything into baggies. Hauled up all the canning stuff from the basement. Saturday morning we were good to go. I had enough for 8 batches, but kind of did a melt down after the 7th batch, so got up at 7am today and did the last one.

AND I managed to do laundry in between. Supper was easy, I sent him out to get a fresh homemade lasagna from the Italian bakeshop, and a loaf of good bread.

Re: Habanero Gold Jelly Weekend - luvnit - 09-14-2008

Sounds like a busy weekend Lorraine, and I sure all your efforts are going to be worth it.

I have had a hankerin' for lasagna lately. I wish we had an Italian bakeshop nearby... I'd be able to keep them in business for sure!

The jelly sounds just delightful!

Re: Habanero Gold Jelly Weekend - Harborwitch - 09-14-2008

We didn't plant any habaneros this year - and we still have some of the jam from last year. I't yummy on a peanut butter sandwich.

Re: Habanero Gold Jelly Weekend - chef_Tab - 09-14-2008

Lorraine, do you sell this jelly?

Re: Habanero Gold Jelly Weekend - Lorraine - 09-14-2008

Laura, we have two great Italian stores very close by. Their breads are wonderful, and the pastas etc are made on site.

Theresa, I don't sell any of it, as it's not made in a commercial kitchen, I don't want to take the chance. We just make it to give away. If more of the habs ripen this week, it'll be hab sauce and salsa next weekend.

I didn't think the habs would be very hot this year, as we didn't get much heat or sunshine. But, they're hotter than last years.

Re: Habanero Gold Jelly Weekend - cjs - 09-15-2008

My jalapenos are finally ripening, so I'll be getting some more jam/jelly made - not with habaneros tho.

Lorraine, do I have that recipe? doesn't sound familiar....

Re: Habanero Gold Jelly Weekend - Lorraine - 09-15-2008

Jeam, I think you could sub the jalapenos for the habs. Here's the recipe:

I opened a new box of Bernardin jars, and there was a leaflet with this recipe. The jelly looks great, as the bits of onion etc are suspended in it. The apricot gives it a bit of sweetness.

1/3 C finely sliced dried apricots
3/4 C white vinegar (5% acidity)
1/4 C each: finely chopped red onion, red bell pepper, and seeded habaneros
3 C granulated sugar
1 pouch (85 ml) Bernardin liquid pectin

In large stainless steel pan, combine apricots and vinegar. Let stand at least 4 hours.

Add red onion, red peppers, habaneros, and sugar. Over high heat, stirring constantly, bring to a full rolling boil that cannot be stirred down. Stir in pectin. Boil hard for 1 minute. Remove from heat, skim off foam, and stir to disperse peppers.

Ladle jelly into hot jars following manufacturers directions. Process in hot water bath 10 minutes.

Makes 6 X 125 ml jars, or 3 X 250 ml jars.

Re: Habanero Gold Jelly Weekend - cjs - 09-15-2008

Thanks Lorraine -duly copied and as an old friend used to say, "You had me at...apricots"

Re: Habanero Gold Jelly Weekend - Dismc - 09-15-2008

Me too. YUM!!

Re: Habanero Gold Jelly Weekend - labradors - 09-15-2008

Quote:

My jalapenos are finally ripening...

If you're one of those experimenting with smokers right now, don't forget to put a big batch of your RED jalapeƱos into the smoker to make some chipotles. It does take many HOURS, though, so plan ahead.