Cuisine at home Forums
Panettone - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Panettone (/showthread.php?tid=65154)

Panettone - Harborwitch - 09-16-2008

From King Arthur Flour

This traditional Italian holiday bread will stay fresh longer when it's made with an overnight starter.

Biga (Overnight Starter)
3/4 cup (3 1/8 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1/16 teaspoon yeast (just a pinch)
1/3 cup (2 5/8 ounces) water

Dough
all of the biga (above)
2 1/4 cups (9 1/2 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1/4 cup (2 ounces) water
2 large eggs
1/4 cup (1/2 stick, 2 ounces) unsalted butter
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon Fiori di Sicilia flavoring (available at KAF)OR 1 teaspoon vanilla + 1/8 teaspoon orange oil
2 1/4 teaspoons SAF Gold instant yeast OR 1 tablespoon instant yeast
1/3 cup (2 1/4 ounces) sugar
1/2 cup (3 ounces) golden raisins
1/2 cup (2 1/4 ounces) slivered dried apricots
1/2 cup (2 ounces) dried cranberries or flavored fruit bits
1/2 cup (2 1/2 ounces) dried pineapple, chopped
2 tablespoons orange or lemon zest

The Biga: Combine the biga ingredients in a medium-sized mixing bowl, cover, and allow them to rest overnight (8 to 12 hours).

Dough: Combine all of the dough ingredients except the fruit, and mix and knead them together—by hand, mixer or bread machine—till you've made a soft, smooth dough. Allow the dough to rise, covered, for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until it's puffy (though not necessarily doubled in bulk). Gently deflate the dough, and knead in the fruits and zest.

Shape the dough into a ball and place it in a panettone pan or other straight-sided, tall 1 1/2- to 2-quart pan. Cover the pan and let the dough rise till it's just crested over the rim of the pan, about 1 hour.

Bake the bread in a preheated 400°F oven for 10 minutes; reduce the oven heat to 375°F and bake an additional 10 minutes; then reduce the heat to 350°F and bake for 25 minutes, tenting with aluminum foil if the crust appears to be browning too quickly. Remove the panettone from the oven and cool completely.

I used candied citron, lemon peel, and (I think) the pineapple.

Fantastic stuff, very festive. It makes great French toast and a bread pudding that is to die for.

Re: Panettone - Gourmet_Mom - 09-16-2008

While I have NEVER been a bread pudding fan OR fruit cake fan, I think I have GOT to make this for the holidays. Of course, I'll have to make a few test trials to be sure it is family/friend "gift" worthy. Yea, right, that's the plan.

Now let me say, since you no longer need it, pass that tent along! I think I've found somebody who will need it REAL soon!

Re: Panettone - Mare749 - 09-16-2008

Thanks Sharon! How did you know that I was planning to make that this year for the holidays? It's definately got to be better than the store bought kind. What a nice gift this would make. I wonder if the cake supply store would have some kind of box for packing? I'll have to check.

Maryann

Re: Panettone - firechef - 09-17-2008

Too heck with the Holidays...I want to make this NOW! Might just skip eating it and go right to the bread pudding...

Re: Panettone - Harborwitch - 09-17-2008

The last time I made it we did just that. Just went for the bread pudding.