Cuisine at home Forums
Ike help! Need fish taco recipe - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Ike help! Need fish taco recipe (/showthread.php?tid=65156)

Ike help! Need fish taco recipe - PortABeach - 09-16-2008

We are displaced by Ike, that is the bad news. The good news is my husband just caught some nice trout and I need the fish taco recipe from issue 62. Does anyone have it handy? TIA

Re: Ike help! Need fish taco recipe - Gourmet_Mom - 09-16-2008

Welcome PortABeach! I am so sorry to hear you are displaced. I know it must be hard for you. I hope you will be able to return home soon.

Regretfully, I don't have that issue...nor do I have access to Members Plus like others on here. Hopefully, someone will come on that can help.

For now, here are three I DO have. I HIGHLY recommend the Fried Fish Tacos. I have had this one, and find the batter AWESOME....thanks Jean! I will say, I have NOT made the Taco Platter, but since Jean is sooooo consistent in her recipes, I'm betting it's a good one. Finally, I am including the one Fanfarm recommended from Issue 37. I have not made this one yet either, but Fanfarm LOVED it. I did NOT include the one from Cuisine Tonight since I HAVE tried that one and was not happy with it.

* Exported from MasterCook *

FRIED FISH TACOS

Recipe By :Jean
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 quart vegetable oil
12 corn tortillas -- (12 to 16)
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons salt
1 cup beer -- not dark
1 pound catfish -- cut into 3- by 1-inch strips

Heat 1" oil in a 10" heavy pot (2-3" deep) over mod. heat to 360°.

Stir together flour & salt, stir in beer (batter will be thick).

Gently stir fish into batter to coat.

Lift each piece of fish out of batter, wiping any excess off on side of bowl, & fry in batches, turning once or twice, till golden, 4-5 min.

Drain on p.towels.

Increase oil temp. to 375° & refry fish in batches, turning once or twice till golden brown & crisp, ~1 min. Drain on p. towels.

Heat tacos while fish fries and assemble.

Description:
"This is one of the best batters!!"
Source:
"Gourmet, 8/2000"
S(Internet Address):
"http://www.forums.cuisineathome.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=61989&an=0&page=0#Post61989"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Serve with shredded lettuce, sour cream, avocado slices, chopped radish, red or green salsa (or fruit salsa, & lime wedges)

We had these recently and LOVED them. I especially loved the "poofy" batter. Sadly, the boys just at the fish with tartar sauce after their first taco. But it really WAS good! I can't wait to try it with jumbo butterflied shrimp. I don't know, but I think it will work.

Fish Taco Platter

Recipe By :Bruce Aidells and Nancy Oakes
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

1 red onion -- halved lengthwise, cut thinly crosswise
5 whole jalapeno peppers -- small
2 cups seasoned rice vinegar
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon Kosher salt
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon lime peel -- finely grated, packed
1 Pinch salt
12 ounces tomatillos -- * husked, stemmed, divided
4 green onions -- white and green parts separated
1 jalapeno pepper
2 garlic cloves -- unpeeled
1 1/4 cups fresh cilantro leaves -- (packed)
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice -- (or more)
2 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup cilantro -- chopped
3 tablespoons hot pepper sauce -- divided
3 teaspoons kosher salt
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
2 pounds halibut -- sea bass, or striped bass fillets, skinned and cut into 1/2x1/2-inch strips
16 corn tortillas
2 cups self-rising flour
Vegetable oil (for frying)
DEFINITIVE SALSA
Guacamole

For baja cream:
Whisk all ingredients in small bowl. (Can be made 3 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)

For tomatillo salsa verde:
Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly oil roasting pan. Char half of tomatillos, white parts of green onions, and jalapeño directly over gas flame or in broiler. Transfer charred vegetables to prepared roasting pan. Add remaining tomatillos and garlic cloves to pan. Roast until all vegetables are soft, about 12 minutes. Cool.

Stem and seed jalapeño. Place all roasted vegetables, green onion tops, cilantro, and 1 tablespoon lime juice in blender. Puree until smooth, stopping to push vegetables down into blades several times. Transfer to medium bowl. Season with salt and more lime juice, if desired.

For fish:
Mix buttermilk, cilantro, pepper sauce, 1 teaspoon salt, and lime juice in large bowl. Add fish; toss. Cover; chill at least 1 hour and up to 3 hours.

Preheat oven to 300°F. Wrap tortillas in foil; place in oven to warm.Whisk flour and remaining 2 teaspoons salt in medium bowl. Add enough oil to large skillet to reach depth of 1 inch. Heat oil until thermometer registers 350°F. Working in batches, remove fish from marinade and dredge in flour. Carefully add fish to skillet, cover partially, and fry until golden brown, turning occasionally, about 4 minutes. Transfer to paper-towel-lined baking sheet to drain, then transfer to oven to keep warm.

Set up buffet with all taco fixings, along with fresh salsa and guacamole.

*Green and tomato-like with a papery husk, tomatillos are available in the produce section of some supermarkets and Latin markets.

Description:
"Instant Party: Crispy fish tacos, pickled onions and jalapeños, lime cream, salsa verde, and guacamole — it all adds up to one fun party. Set everything out, and let everyone assemble their own."
Source:
"Bon Appétit | January 2006"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Trixxee: Here is our fave fish taco recipe, though we've only done the fish and the cream sauce - not the pickled onions and the salsa. Loved it.

(The DEFINITIVE SALSA is on here, just type DEFINITIVE in the SEARCH BOX and CJS in the member box, then ABOUT 3 MONTHS for the minimum time range. If you don't find it, let me know and I'll post it for you. IT REALLY IS DEFINITIVE!)

Fish Tacos with Mango Salsa

Recipe By :Fanfarm
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

1 mango -- peeled, diced
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes -- halved
1/2 cup cucumber -- diced
1/4 cup red onion -- minced
1 tablespoon jalapeño -- seeded, minced
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1 lime -- juiced
1 avocado -- pitted, peeled, and thinly sliced
2 tablespoons cilantro -- coarsely chopped
1/4 cup plain lowfat yogurt
1/4 cup reduced-calorie mayonnaise
2 teaspoons sugar
1 chipotle chile canned in adobo -- or two, minced
1/2 lime -- juiced
16 ounces fish -- tilapia or similar divided into 4 portions and halved
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
8 corn tortillas -- 7 inch
3 cups napa cabbage -- shredded

Preheat oven to 500° with racks on thetop and bottom levels.

Combine mango, tomatoes, cucumber, onion, jalapeño, seasonings, and lime juice in a large bowl for Salsa. Let stand 10 minutes to blend flavors.

Before serving, stir in avocado and cilantro.

Stir all ingredients for the creamy chipotle sauce together in a bowl and adjust seasonings to taste. Let stand at least 10 minutes to allow flavors to blend.

Marinate tilapia fillets in lime juice for 10 minutes, turning to coat. Place a baking sheet on each oven rack and preheat 5 minutes.

Blend flour, cornmeal, and seasonings in a shallow dish. Coat marinated fish on both sides with flour mixture.

Remove a hot pan from oven and spray with nonstick spray. Place fillets on hot pan and roast on top rack 5 minutes.

Spray both sides of tortillas with nonstick spray. (Meanwhile, carefully turn fish over and return to oven 3–4 minutes.) Oven-toast tortillas on the second heated baking sheet after turning the fillets over. Toast tortillas just until they’re lightly crisp around the edges, 2–3 minutes.

Serve fish and tortillas with shredded cabbage, mango salsa, and chipotle sauce.

Source:
"Cuisine at Home Issue 37"

NOTES : Fanfarm (Cis): "They were out of this world good!!! The mango salsa was so exciting, the flavors were excellent. The tilapia comes out perfect when you follow the oven fry method they give. My only little complaint is that the creamy chipolte sauce was HOT, but that's just me. Chipoltes are the one Mex food I don't enjoy, heat without flavor I think. BUT James loved it!!"

NOW THAT YOU FOUND US, I HOPE YOU COME BACK OFTEN! We really enjoy C@H and sharing ideas about cooking!

Re: Ike help! Need fish taco recipe - cjs - 09-17-2008

WOW, I'm hungry!!!!

To Gourmet Mom - PortABeach - 09-17-2008

Dear Gourmet Mom: Thanks for the recipe. I ended up winging it and putting together the recipe as I remembered it - very simple. The batter for the fish is seasoned flour, eggs, and panko crumbs, all in separate bowls. It's the sauce and the slaw that I put together, knowing I left out ingredients.

I agree with you on the Cuisine Tonight recipe - not that great.

Thanks for your sentiments on the return to Houston. We have power at our home as of Monday night. The opposite side of our street and 5 blocks more do not. One family is staying in our home, another running an extension cord to our front porch to keep their refrigerator running. Signal lights are out everywhere and I'm told gas is sparse. We are in Port Aransas, Texas trying to keep our children busy since their school sustained damage and will not start up again til (hopefully) monday.

When i return to houston i will send you the issue 62 recipe. The beer batter recipe looks excellent. As well as the mango salsa.

Hope your family is safe!

Re: To Gourmet Mom - bjcotton - 09-17-2008

Is this the recipe you wanted? There's another one called, "White Fish Taco."

Fish Tacos
(Cuisine at home, February 2003, Issue 37, p. 8)

Makes: 4 Servings Total Time: 30 Minutes Rating: Intermediate

For the Mango-Avocado Salsa—
Combine:
1 ripe yet firm mango, peeled, diced
1/2 cup grape tomatoes, halved
1/2 cup cucumber, diced
1/4 cup red onion, minced
1 T. jalapeño, seeded, minced
1 t. sugar
1/4 t. cumin
Juice of one lime

Before Serving, Stir In:
1 firm yet ripe avocado, pitted, peeled, thinly sliced
2 T. coarsely chopped fresh cilantro

For the Creamy Chipotle Sauce—
Stir Together:
1/4 cup plain lowfat yogurt
1/4 cup reduced-calorie mayonnaise
2 t. sugar
1 -2 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, minced
Juice of 1/2 lime

For the Fish Tacos—
Marinate in Lime Juice:
4 4 oz. fresh tilapia fillets, halved

Blend; Coat Fish in:
3 T. all-purpose flour
3 T. yellow cornmeal
1 t. chili powder
1 t. kosher salt
1/4 t. cayenne

Spray, then Oven-Toast:
8 7" corn tortillas

Serve with:
3 cups napa cabbage, shredded
Mango-Avocado Salsa and Creamy Chipotle Sauce

Preheat oven to 500° with racks on the top and bottom levels.

Combine mango, tomatoes, cucumber, onion, jalapeño, seasonings, and lime juice in a large bowl for Salsa. Let stand 10 minutes to blend flavors.

Before serving, stir in avocado and cilantro.

Stir all ingredients for the creamy chipotle sauce together in a bowl and adjust seasonings to taste. Let stand at least 10 min. to allow flavors to blend.

Marinate tilapia fillets in lime juice for 10 minutes, turning to coat. Place a baking sheet on each oven rack and preheat 5 minutes.

Blend flour, cornmeal, and seasonings in a shallow dish. Coat marinated fish on both sides with flour mixture. Remove a hot pan from oven and spray with nonstick spray. Place fillets on hot pan and roast on top rack 5 minutes.

Spray both sides of tortillas with nonstick spray. (Meanwhile, carefully turn fish over and return to oven 3–4 minutes.) Oven-toast tortillas on the second heated baking sheet after turning the fillets over. Toast tortillas just until they’re lightly crisp around the edges, 2–3 minutes.

Serve fish and tortillas with shredded cabbage, mango salsa, and chipotle sauce.

White Fish Tacos
(Weeknight Menus)

Makes: 8 Tacos Total Time: 35 Minutes Rating: Easy

Puree for the Tartar Sauce:
1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup tomato, seeded, chopped
2 T. fresh lime juice
1 jalapeño, seeded, diced
1 T. Dijon mustard

Prepare:
1 lb. white fish fillets (such as cod or tilapia)

Combine; Dredge; Fry Fillets in:
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup whole milk
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups panko bread crumbs
1/2 cup vegetable oil

Fry:
4 t. vegetable oil, divided
8 corn tortillas (6")

Puree the tartar sauce ingredients in a blender or food processor until smooth; chill.

Prepare fish by cutting fillets into 1x3"strips. Season with salt and pepper.

Combine eggs and milk in a shallow dish. Place flour on a plate and panko on another plate. Dredge each fish strip in flour, tapping off excess. Dip in egg mixture, letting excess drip back into dish. Coat with panko, pressing to make crumbs adhere. Heat 1/2 cup oil to 360° in a saute pan. Fry half the fish on both sides until golden, turning once, about 6 minutes total. Transfer to a baking sheet and keep warm in 200° oven. Repeat procedure with remaining fish strips.

Fry each tortilla in a 1/2 t. of oil in another saute pan. Assemble tacos with fish, slaw, and top with tartar sauce.

Re: To Gourmet Mom - Gourmet_Mom - 09-17-2008

PortABeach, I hope you managed to enjoy your fish without the recipe. Be sure to try the beer batter! It's truly the best I've ever had!

I'm glad you have power and someone is looking after your house. Hopefully, it won't be TOO long before you all get back to something close to normal. Been there, done that! At least the kids will hopefully be back in school soon. That will help.

I'm a teacher, and I always laugh when the kids get excited about getting off for a hurricane. Sure enough, it doesn't take more than a couple days of picking up pine cones and other lawn debris, before they're ready for school to start back...LOL! And then when they have to give up a "holiday" or two and go past the "last day" of school to make up the time, they REALLY get ticked...LOL!