Cuisine at home Forums
Review - Curry, Potato and Pea Somosas - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Review - Curry, Potato and Pea Somosas (/showthread.php?tid=65448)

Review - Curry, Potato and Pea Somosas - luvnit - 09-23-2008

I made these last night for my daughter. I thought we would all love them. Up front I will tell you that my curry powder was not hot, just mild. I still felt that the curry flavor overwhelmed the dish. I love curries when I get them from Thai restaurants, curried rice, I put curry in my chicken salad and love it. The curry in this didn't do a thing for me. It's not like it was bad, just not good. I know there are several different curry powders and I think I needed a different one for this dish.

As for the tomato chutney, it was fabulous! Excellent flavor.

I tried to make the mango salad, but came up short. My mango was as hard as a rock! I made the whole salad using mandarin oranges instead. It was an adequate substitute.

Re: Review - Curry, Potato and Pea Somosas - Gourmet_Mom - 09-23-2008

Laura, where is this...the new issue? I want to mark it with your notes. I love a good tomato chutney.

Re: Review - Curry, Potato and Pea Somosas - luvnit - 09-24-2008

Yes Daphne, it's in the new issue. Like I said, it IS a good recipe, but I think you need the right curry. I like my curries on the 'sweet-side with a little kick of hot' I think a flavor like that would have made the dish even better. It was easy to prepare and overall a good recipe, just 'not quite' right.

Re: Review - Curry, Potato and Pea Somosas - Lorraine - 09-24-2008

Thanks for the review, Laura. I had been looking at that recipe.

Re: Review - Curry, Potato and Pea Somosas - Harborwitch - 09-24-2008

Perhaps Penzey's Maharajah Curry powder??? It's fabulous, a much richer flavor with saffron and some heat!

One of the vendors at the Farmers' market has Samosas and I keep planning to make them and don't - now I'll have to.

Re: Review - Curry, Potato and Pea Samosas - TwilightKitten - 10-16-2008

I made these tonight with the tomato chutney and mango salad. Based on Laura's review, I used 1 tablespoon of hot curry powder instead of 2 T of the mild I would have used...soooo glad I did. It was nice and spicy but the curry flavor didn't overwhelm like I was afraid it was going to do. I was nervous about serving all my men a meatless dinner but the boys LOVED it and the chutney too. I wasn't thrilled by the salad...I thought it was just ok but the kids gobbled it up and wanted more.

lol...my youngest just told me, "Mom, that was frickin' delicious and I want it again tomorrow. And I'm not kidding." Guess I'll be making these again soon.

Oh and a huge THANK YOU to you, Laura, for your review and suggestions. I think I owe this success to you.