Cuisine at home Forums
Wednesday's Dinner? - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Wednesday's Dinner? (/showthread.php?tid=66012)

Wednesday's Dinner? - cjs - 10-02-2008

Have so many dibs & dabs of leftovers, that will be our dinner tonight - I tried many dishes while our company was here.

Italian Sausage & Squash soup - this one is great, will have to arm wrestle Roy for the l/os.

Made Cheesy Garlic bread again to go with the above soup - good combo.

Apple Cheddar Bread Pudding - always good

Fire-Roasted corn Salad - had to test to see if I can use frozen grilled corn (for the baby shower) and yippee, it works!

the (deconstructed) apple pie from the last dinner review - everyone else liked it, but I wasn't crazy about it - the flavors seemed to be too muddled. I like the concept so will play with it again, I'm sure. But one thing I won't do is add the caramel (or dulce de leche) sauce to the apples - I prefer the pure apple flavor I'm thinking and just drizzle with the caramel.

The Cumberland sausage was a big hit - a little background on this one. Some friends of ours lived in England for a number of years and Bill just love this sausage. Over the years he has been on the lookout for finding it, but with no success. So, with a little digging and help with an acquaintance in England I was able to find some recipes for it and surprised him this visit. We all just loved it -

Here he is with his 'bounty' -
[Image: BillandCumberland.jpg]

[Image: cumberlandcoil.jpg]

I fixed it three ways - smoked it, fried it, and baked it (fried and baked were recommended by all the info I found) - we loved the smoked best.
[Image: smokedcumberland.jpg]

Piddle, got so carried away, had to look again to see what this thread was about..... (God, I miss my mind)

Anyway, what are you all up to??

Re: Wednesday's Dinner? - chef_Tab - 10-02-2008

Jean, you crack me up! I needed a laugh today. I am making that Hungarian Goulash tonight. I am drooling at the thought of it. Especially after the great review from Trixxee.

Re: Wednesday's Dinner? - farnfam - 10-02-2008

Pork Chops Capriciosa from Issue 53. We did this as a dinner for review, I think it was one of the first ones
I'll be doing the polenta too, but with revisions. This is good comfort food, it's cold here.
Cis

Re: Wednesday's Dinner? - esgunn - 10-02-2008

Crockpot jambalya - it is gym night -if the kids are feeling better from their colds. Had to skip gymnastics on Tuesday.

Re: Wednesday's Dinner? - Trixxee - 10-02-2008

I made the Chicken Francese on the cover of one of the weekday books. It was ok. I probably wouldn't bother with it again. First you dip the chicken in flour then egg then saute. I like dipping it in egg then flour. This was it was a little too eggy. I think tonight I may make the cheese steak sandwiches from that same book. Has anyone made them before?

Theresa - did you make the goulash? Did you like it?

Re: Wednesday's Dinner? - labradors - 10-02-2008

Quote:

I think tonight I may make the cheese steak sandwiches from that same book. Has anyone made them before?

Not sure what the book says, but I'm originally from the Philadelphia area, so here's how the best places around Philly do it, contrary to some of the many myths that surround cheesesteak. Just slice some beef in VERY thin slices (sometimes easier if it's partially frozen). If you wish, sauté some onions and/or peppers and/or mushrooms beforehand, as well.

Then, just sauté the beef in just a touch of oil. When it's just about done, add some Provolone cheese (NOT Cheddar, NOT Cheez Whiz, NOT Mozzarella, and definitely NOT Swiss, although American IS considered acceptable in some circles), and sauté the beef and cheese together, until the cheese is well melted. (Sautéing the beef first, then adding the cheese only once it's in the roll is NOT how REAL cheesesteaks are made - the cheese is cooked in WITH the meat.) If you are adding the sautéed onions, peppers, and mushrooms, add them at this point, so it all melds together. Then, put the whole, cooked mixture into a good-quality hoagie roll (i.e. good-quality Italian bread, not something from Subway).

That sounds absolutely divine, labs. What cut of beef would you use? This particular C@H recipes uses top sirloin. I like the sound of your way better. Believe it or not we do have a cheesesteak place - Frank's, and I have to believe they do it like you do it. I'm practically craving a sandwich now!

One more silly question - as far as the provolone goes, would it be best to grate it? It seems like it would melt evenly that way.

Re: Wednesday's Dinner? - chef_Tab - 10-02-2008

Trxxee, I have not made the goulash yet. I went to aerobics, stopped at the store to get the stuff I need and am probably going to start within the hour. It is to be our dinner tonight, and hopefully, I will be able to freeze some for another time. I am so excited for tonight's dinner. I made two forgettable dishes this week, so I am ready for something yummy.

duh...I just realized today is Thursday! No wonder Trixxee asked if I made it yet. I'll just shut up now and stand in the corner.

Re: Wednesday's Dinner? - labradors - 10-02-2008

Quote:

What cut of beef would you use? This particular C@H recipes uses top sirloin.

Top round is typical, but top sirloin would work well, too.

Quote:

One more silly question - as far as the provolone goes, would it be best to grate it? It seems like it would melt evenly that way.

Usually it's just thin, deli slices. Once the beef is cooked, use a spatula to arrange it, on the griddle, in the approximate shape and size of your sandwich, then lay the Provolone slices right on top. When it has started to melt, use the spatula to chop it into the beef and stir it around a bit. That way, the cheese completely coats the beef, and isn't just sitting there, separately, on the roll.

Enjoy!