Cuisine at home Forums
How does your garden grow? - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: How does your garden grow? (/showthread.php?tid=67496)

How does your garden grow? - bjcotton - 10-19-2008

Here it is the middle of October and my tomatoes are still blooming and producing, my bell peppers and jalapeños are producing too. The purple tomatoes and the peppers had blossom rot for the first set of produce; then, I was gone for 10 days and nobody watered them. Then they both started producing like crazy, no blossom rot and for the first time I have huge bell peppers and jalapeños like you can buy in some stores....krazy! The Sun Gold cherry tomatoes are still blossoming and producing a good crop too. It's been cold and overcast most mornings and the temperature doesn't get over 65°F during the day. Yesterday was 50°F and today is 65°F. I just don't understand . Now in San Diego I used to sit out in the backyard on Christmas day and pick tomatoes off the plants which was understandable there...January through June sucked but that too was understandable. Here I haven't understood the weather the whole year.

Marilee's plants are still blooming. Here are two different Clematis on her porch:

[Image: A1-20.jpg]

[Image: A1-18.jpg]

And here is one of her 16 Angel Trumpets:

[Image: A1-22.jpg]

She has two varieties of the Angel Trumpets, one has yellow flowers as you can see, the other has white with pink ruffles around the end. They have no smell that I can discern during the day, but at night there is this lovely odor floating on the breeze.

Re: How does your garden grow? - DFen911 - 10-19-2008

Wow absolutely beautiful! I wish I could grow flowers like that. It's too hot and windy for the delicate things. Thanks for sharing. Billy with all that you go thru you never cease to bring joy to others

Re: How does your garden grow? - pjcooks - 10-19-2008

Wow, Billy, that is beautiful! We've had our first frost which has pretty much killed off the herbs I had left. Japanese beatles got most of them this summer.

Lucky you! Enjoy while you can

PJ

Re: How does your garden grow? - bjcotton - 10-19-2008

I am pretty much well now Denise. I eat like a horse and still weigh 147 pounds. I'm either eating ice cream, snacks, real food or about anything else I can get my hands on. I just went to the store and got a bottle of Merlot to make some more of Jean Pear and Port (or Merlot) reduction. I made it using a ruby red port last time and drizzled it over a fruit salad all last week. It is just delicious...I even went to Penzey's and bought some new cinnamon sticks, cloves, and allspice berries to make it this time. I need to start dating my spices and herbs so I'll know how old they are.

I even enjoyed Marilee's puppy (about a year old), PJ, even though she chewed up my ball cap from the old other site. I think she loves me. I was sitting on the couch reading and she brought one of her toys over and tried to get me to play with her. I just ignored her so she kept bringing other toys over until she had them all at my feet. When I continued to ignore her she picked them up and put them in my lap.

Re: How does your garden grow? - - 10-19-2008

Beautiful flowers!! What a weird growing season - we still have peppers, peas and squash but I think we saw the last of our tomatoes about two weeks ago - but I planted a third "crop" and they are about an inch high so we will see for a fall/winter batch - glad to hear that you are doing so much better!!

Re: How does your garden grow? - HomeCulinarian - 10-20-2008

Beautiful pix, Billy.

Our garden is kaput. Hubby gathered in all the green tomatoes yesterday - probably about 50 lbs. Had a great season for our Roma's - three kinds, and a hybrid cherry from my BIL - fruit was about the size of a golf ball. We had some brandywine tomatoes that were delicious, but the plant only produced a few all season. Squash and peppers weren't as plentiful this year, and our attempt at growing fennel was a complete flop.

Re: How does your garden grow? - cjs - 10-20-2008

great pictures. I have one more batch of jalapenos to pick and I think I'll roast these for the freezer (just FoodSavered the other batches). The lemon cucumbers are still hanging on, maybe another few will ripen up. Tomatoes all but gone, but my basil that is up close to the house is still going.

It's lookin' really ugly out there now, but once we clean out all the plants, it's really going to look like summer is gone.