Cuisine at home Forums
One More Pumpkin Recipe (or Butternut ) sigh - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: One More Pumpkin Recipe (or Butternut ) sigh (/showthread.php?tid=67845)

One More Pumpkin Recipe (or Butternut ) sigh - cjs - 10-24-2008

I've been working with pumpkin and squash (butternut) so much lately, I'm going bonkers. sorry.

Here's a great side dish using roasted butternut squash and onions and sage...I made it early today for dinner - hope there is some left by then. (another one that's like eating candy)
[Image: RoastedButternutOnions.jpg]
I cheated a little and sprinkled some Parm over the top.
* Exported from MasterCook *

Roasted Butternut Squash with Sage and Cranberries

1 medium butternut squash
4 tablespoons olive oil* -- divided
Sea salt and ground pepper
2 medium onions
2 tablespoons chopped sage
4 tablespoons dried cranberries or cherries

Preheat oven to 375°F.

Peel squash and cut in half lengthwise. Scoop out seeds from the center and discard. Cut squash into large chunks. Coat with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste and arrange on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until well caramelized.

Peel onions and cut into large chunks. Coat with remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper and spread on a second lined baking sheet. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until well caramelized. When squash and onions are done, toss with sage and cranberries. Serve immediately.

Description:
"Roasted squash embodies the essence of winter meals, caramelized onions add a piquant touch, and fresh sage and dried cranberries dress it up for the holidays. A versatile side dish that complements anything from a weekday family dinner to a lavish holiday" I think I got this from a Whole Foods newsletter.

Re: One More Pumpkin Recipe - labradors - 10-24-2008

Quote:

One More Pumpkin Recipe

Promise? LOL!

Just kidding. Keep 'em coming - even more so the ones for butternut squash! YUM!

Re: One More Pumpkin Recipe - pjcooks - 10-24-2008

I can taste it just looking at it. Thank you, m'am, what a pretty dish!

PJ

Re: One More Pumpkin Recipe - cjs - 10-24-2008

geez, I'm really losing it -

Re: One More Pumpkin Recipe - bjcotton - 10-24-2008

Where did you lose it? Maybe I can help you find it. Thanks for the recipe, it looks delicious.

Re: One More Pumpkin Recipe - Gourmet_Mom - 10-24-2008

FOUL! Do you think I can work the al Burro AND this in a week? Maybe if I spread it out, they won't notice.

Re: One More Pumpkin Recipe (or Butternut ) sigh - Harborwitch - 10-24-2008

Jean that looks so good. Now I have to figure out what to make with my squash - soup or that??????

Re: One More Pumpkin Recipe (or Butternut ) sigh - DFen911 - 10-25-2008

Ok not to mention the dish looks fantastic! But Jean you have THE cutest serving dishes. Heavens each dish you photograph the plating is wonderful. I want to raid your cabinets hahaha!

Of course that's after I eat everything off the plate, dish, platter first

Re: One More Pumpkin Recipe (or Butternut ) sigh - cjs - 10-25-2008

I'm a sucker for pottery and serving dishes.

Re: One More Pumpkin Recipe (or Butternut ) sigh - Dismc - 11-13-2008

Jean, I made this for dinner last night and it was great. Will become one of my go tos now. I served it with breaded pork chops with milk gravy. I know, I know but it was a Cooking Light recipe and was really good if anyone is interested.