Cuisine at home Forums
Ratatouille - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Ratatouille (/showthread.php?tid=68007)

Ratatouille - Trixxee - 10-26-2008

I'm going to take a stab at ratatouille tonight. (How hard can it be?). What is your preferred way of cooking the veggies? I've seen recipes for roasting, grilling and on top of the stove. And how small do you cut up your veggies?

Re: Ratatouille - Gourmet_Mom - 10-26-2008

Trixxee, the only time I've ever done ratatouille was with the Ratatouille Chicken Thighs, which was WONDERFUL, BTW! I cut everything in 1 inch chunks except the onion which was cut in 2 inch chunks. It was roasted, also. I would definitely roast the veggies, whatever you do. They carmelize so much nicer that way....YUM!

Re: Ratatouille - DFen911 - 10-26-2008

Cute and funny movie too

Re: Ratatouille - BarbaraS - 10-26-2008

I loved the movie!! I just watched it last Saturday.

I thought it was a truly vegetarian dish. My Mom always made it that way, which any other family members hated, which was cool, so more for me and Mom.

What is the traditional recipe? I thought that was posted somewhere with the movie details.

Barbara

Re: Ratatouille - HomeCulinarian - 10-26-2008

I've made the Roasted Ratatouille and like it better than the stewed version. The one that goes with the roasted chicken thighs is one of our family favorites.

So, what's the verdict, Trixxee? How did it go over?

Re: Ratatouille - cjs - 10-27-2008

Traditionally ratatouille is a dish of veggies simmered in olive oil, which I really don't care for. I much prefer my veggies just tossed with a little oil/seasoning and roasted on baking sheets.

You can use any veggies, but eggplant, tomatoes, onions, garlic and zucc I think are the most often used.

Re: Ratatouille - Trixxee - 10-27-2008

Well, this is what we came up with because it's "Ratatouille's Ratatouille." It actually was very, very good and Michael did try it - that's all I can ever hope for. I used a Japanese eggplant. We sprinkled parmesan on it too to make it a little more kid friendly.

My husband and I gobbled it up.

http://smittenkitchen.com/2007/07/rat-a-too-ee-for-you-ee/

Re: Ratatouille - cjs - 10-27-2008

Isn't that a pretty dish!

Re: Ratatouille - HomeCulinarian - 10-27-2008

That looks like it's worth trying! Very nice presentation.

Re: Ratatouille - Roxanne 21 - 10-27-2008

LOVE veggies---this will be on my menu soon-to-be---did not see the movie but heard nice reviews with ratatouille raves.. nice reminder for a try (Peter is not that crazy about veggies but a good sport and will try anything I make---LUCKY ME!!!!)