Cuisine at home Forums
A nice twist on fish - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: A nice twist on fish (/showthread.php?tid=70526)

A nice twist on fish - buzzard767 - 11-25-2008

One of the joys of living in SW Florida is the fresh seafood. In this case, red snapper. You uplanders might want to try this recipe on a firm white meated fish.

Steamed Fish A La Hong Kong

Ingredients
1 to 1 ½ pounds fish fillets
½ cup fresh ginger, cut into slivers, divided
3 cloves garlic, minced
½ cup scallions, cut into slivers
6 sprigs cilantro
½ tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper
1 tsp sherry
2 tbs low-sodium soy sauce
3 tbs olive oil

Preparation
Rub fish thoroughly with salt and black pepper. Pour sherry over fish, sprinkle garlic, and ¼ cup ginger slivers on top.
Place fish in a steamer and steam for 15 minutes. Remove, place on plate and top with scallions, cilantro, and remaining ginger.
Heat olive oil in a sauce pan until it starts to sizzle. Pour over top of fish.
Add soy sauce and serve.

Serves 2-4.

This is it prepared before steaming - 7 minutes in this case because the fillets weren't too thick.

[Image: hk01.jpg]

Out of the steamer and into a baking dish. Do this. I tried pouring the olive oil onto the fish once on the serving plate and the plate cracked in half.

[Image: hk03.jpg]

On the plate. Honestly, I've never had better snapper than this recipe.

[Image: hk04.jpg]

Re: A nice twist on fish - labradors - 11-25-2008

My, that sounds tasty! Seems to be an ideal combination of ingredients. About the only thing it seems to be missing would be a splash of sesame oil, but even with out it, this sounds wonderful!

Re: A nice twist on fish - Gourmet_Mom - 11-25-2008

YUM! This does sound good! I'll be trying this just as soon as I can get my hands on some snapper, grouper, or dolphin! Sooner than later, I hope! Thanks Buzz!

Re: A nice twist on fish - Old Bay - 11-25-2008

The flavors sound so good--Jane & I have steamed fish (especially in crout) because it is such a dramatic presentation --looks so good. Maybe I'm about steamed fish as Labs is about asparagus in any form. My fish needs to be seared, grilled, sauteed, fried , or baked for me to enjoy it. It is so pretty though!!

Re: A nice twist on fish - HomeCulinarian - 11-25-2008

That looks good -- marking this to try soon.