Cuisine at home Forums
Focaccia Bread - What Did I Do Wrong? - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Focaccia Bread - What Did I Do Wrong? (/showthread.php?tid=71895)

Focaccia Bread - What Did I Do Wrong? - Trixxee - 12-17-2008

I decided to get over my fear of yeast and try my hand at the recipe below. Everything seemed to be going along well and I followed the directions all the way except for the size pan I used. It calls for jelly roll pan and I used a cookie sheet (though thought I did a good job of shaping the dough the same size as a jelly roll pan). The bottom line is the crust on the sides and bottom are hard. The middle tastes and looks delicious, but like I said the crust on the bottom is a little hard even in the center. I pulled it out after 25 minutes even though the recipe says 35-45 minutes.

Did I overwork the dough? I did use a dark, non-stick type pan and of course I didn't use the 10x15 pan but I didn't stretch the dough to cover the whole cookie sheet. Maybe it was a combination of the dough and the dark pan? I don't think my oven is too far off because I haven't had trouble with anything else. I can salvage the middle to dunk in pasta & bean soup tonight and for dipping in EVOO/balsamic but I had visions of nice, soft, airy bread.

Any insight? The reviews on the recipe were all glowing so I don't think it was a "bad" recipe.

Olive, Rosemary, and Onion Focaccia
Gourmet | September 1991

a 1/4-ounce package (2 1/2 teaspoons) active dry yeast
1 teaspoon sugar
4 1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh rosemary leaves plus whole rosemary leaves

1/4 cup minced onion
1/2 pound Kalamata, Niçoise, or green Greek olives or a combination, pitted and cut into slivers (about 1 cup)
1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt, or to taste

In the large bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the dough hook stir together the yeast, the sugar, and 1 3/4 cups lukewarm water and proof the yeast mixture for 5 minutes, or until it is foamy. Stir in 4 1/2 cups of the flour, the salt, and 2 tablespoons of the oil and knead the dough, scraping down the dough hook occasionally and adding as much of the remaining 1/2 cup flour as necessary to form a soft, slightly sticky dough, for 3 minutes. Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled bowl, turn it to coat it with the oil, and let it rise, covered, in a warm place for 1 hour, or until it is double in bulk. Knead in the chopped rosemary, press the dough with lightly oiled hands into a well-oiled 15 1/2- by 10 1/2-inch jelly-roll pan, and let it rise, covered loosely, for 30 minutes. The dough may be made 8 hours in advance and kept covered and chilled.
Dimple the dough with your fingertips, making 1/4-inch-deep indentations, brush it with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, and top it with the onion, the olives, the salt, and the whole rosemary leaves. Bake the focaccia in the bottom third of a preheated 400°F. oven for 35 to 45 minutes, or until it is golden and cooked through. Transfer the focaccia to a rack, let it cool for 10 minutes, and serve it, cut into squares, warm or at room temperature.

Dimple the dough with your fingertips, making 1/4-inch-deep indentations, brush it with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, and top it with the onion, the olives, the salt, and the whole rosemary leaves. Bake the focaccia in the bottom third of a preheated 400°F. oven for 35 to 45 minutes, or until it is golden and cooked through. Transfer the focaccia to a rack, let it cool for 10 minutes, and serve it, cut into squares, warm or at room temperature.

Epicurious.com © CondéNet, Inc. All rights reserved.

Re: Focaccia Bread - What Did I Do Wrong? - Gourmet_Mom - 12-17-2008

First, I proof mine for more like an hour the second time...until it is double in size. I also think your pan may have been the biggest culprit. Also, I don't use the full size of the pan. Finally, I leave my dough "shaggy"...not smooth like I do for bread.

Re: Focaccia Bread - What Did I Do Wrong? - cjs - 12-17-2008

Did you bake in the lower part of the oven or middle? That could make a difference also. Trixxee, do you have an instant thermometer? if you do, I always test my bread to see how close to 190-200F. they are, because I'm a terrible baker/pastry cook. This always works for me.

Don't let this get the better of you - try it again!!! Also, if you have some of it left, you could make a ....... Good Lord, I just had a blank out moment ....what the hell is the sandwich called you make with focaccia and use a press on it like a grilled sandwich. For heaven's sake - anyway, making one of those will soften the crust as you grill it.

Sorry, I really do miss my mind.

Re: Focaccia Bread - What Did I Do Wrong? - Gourmet_Mom - 12-17-2008

Panini? YIKES! I have those moments, too, Jean.

Re: Focaccia Bread - What Did I Do Wrong? - cjs - 12-18-2008

Panini never did come to me...thanks, Daphne.

Re: Focaccia Bread - What Did I Do Wrong? - labradors - 12-18-2008

For that matter, you could top it with tomato sauce and cheese, and bake it to have some Sicilian pizza. LOL!

Re: Focaccia Bread - What Did I Do Wrong? - Trixxee - 12-18-2008

Thanks all! I'm not discouraged. Though it didn't turn out perfect, it turned out better than I thought it would to be honest! In the back of my mind I was expected dead yeast.