Cuisine at home Forums
Hey "Hollywood DFen" some advice please! - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Hey "Hollywood DFen" some advice please! (/showthread.php?tid=74165)

Hey "Hollywood DFen" some advice please! - firechef - 01-16-2009

As I have mentioned the feature film "Ticket Out" starring Ray Liotta is filming at the hotel and the cast and crew are staying at the hotel beginning the 19th through the 22nd of January. To take advantage of the fact that we will have film professionals on hand I have been asked to film two segments for local TV stations, a half-hour "program" for the Iowa Department of Natural Resources for Iowa PBS and a segment for a Conde Nast Traveler show of some kind.

Denise, since you are our "resident super star in training" got any tips for being in front of the camera? I camera shy enough with regular cameras let alone tv cameras. My previous tv appearances have been very stressful for me (mind you they were with Chef Rick Bayless and Chef Jon Besh) and I was nearly physically ill each time...

Re: Hey "Hollywood DFen" some advice please! - farnfam - 01-16-2009

LJ, I'm sure "Hollywood Chef Fennel" will be here to answer you shortly. I have no advice (I hate cameras) but I just wanted to say "Hollywood Chef Fennel" again, cuz it's fun to say

Re: Hey "Hollywood DFen" some advice please! - Mare749 - 01-16-2009

Quote:

LJ, I'm sure "Hollywood Chef Fennel" will be here to answer you shortly. I have no advice (I hate cameras) but I just wanted to say "Hollywood Chef Fennel" again, cuz it's fun to say

Isn't it though? I was just thinking the same thing! Sorry LJ, I don't have any advice either, but best of luck to you. Denise (oops, I mean Hollywood Chef Fennel!) will be along shortly.

Maryann

Re: Hey "Hollywood DFen" some advice please! - Roxanne 21 - 01-16-2009

WITH the camera shooter!!!!

Re: Hey "Hollywood DFen" some advice please! - DFen911 - 01-16-2009

Hahaha well said Rox!

I guess I'm lucky as I'm not camera shy at all. But I was having problems when I was doing the big camera interview. So to overcome that I looked and talked to the camera like it was my sister. Since she and I have so much fun when we're together it was easy to relax.

Also practice in front of a mirror. Seriously most of us will do something in the mirror and get all embarrassed. And why? No one else can see us or hear us and yet we react like they can. So get comfortable talking to yourself (again not in public haha) and you'll do great!!

Don't do the "think of them nekkid" thing. You just end up snickering a lot.

**still chuckling over the Chef Fennell thing **

Re: Hey "Hollywood DFen" some advice please! - Gourmet_Mom - 01-16-2009

Quote:

I guess I'm lucky as I'm not camera shy at all.

Why does this not surprise me...LOL!

The advice about using a mirror is a very good one, as is the advise about pretending you are talking to someone you are comfortable with. I tell kids that all the time when they are to do public speaking or reading...or if they are doing a film for a project. Also, if you have a home movie camera or can borrow one, try working with that. I know it's not exactly the same as a TV camera, but it is talking to an inanimate object that will be weird.

Re: Hey "Hollywood DFen" some advice please! - labradors - 01-16-2009

Talking to inanimate objects is okay. It's when you start arguing with them that we start to worry.

Re: Hey "Hollywood DFen" some advice please! - bjcotton - 01-16-2009

Even in front of a small group of people my voice quivers and my knees shake. Just think of the time I was asked to do a solo for a sunday service and being the unconscious person I am I'd forgotten it was Easter Sunday service. Wanna talk about vibrato in the voice.

Re: Hey "Hollywood DFen" some advice please! - Gourmet_Mom - 01-16-2009

Billy, are you holding out here? You sing, too?!?!?!?

Re: Hey "Hollywood DFen" some advice please! - labradors - 01-16-2009

For some reason, although I'm somewhat of an introvert, public speaking has never bothered me, whether it was faking my way through an impromptu speech in tenth-grade English or reading my poetry in front of a theatre audience.