Cuisine at home Forums
Marinara or Spaghetti Sauce and Meatballs - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Marinara or Spaghetti Sauce and Meatballs (/showthread.php?tid=74537)

Marinara or Spaghetti Sauce and Meatballs - bjcotton - 01-22-2009

Does anyone have a favorite recipe for Marinara or Spaghetti Sauce using canned tomatoes they would be willing to share? The BIL doesn't care for tomatoes other than fresh, so I'd like to make about 6 quarts that I could freeze and use for when he's gone. I'd also like to have your favorite meatball recipe. I've made the ones Sharon posted so many times (I love them), but it's time for a change. Thank you all so much!

Re: Marinara or Spaghetti Sauce and Meatballs - Gourmet_Mom - 01-22-2009

I have used Giada's marinara for a long time....even canned several gallons a couple years ago with great success. But I have tried Jean's and like that one, too! Her's is a little sweeter than Giada's. I also like the meatball recipe from C@H that you cook in the oven sitting in beef broth, but love a recipe I got from Good Morning America a long time ago...so I use the recipe from GMA, but cook it using the C@H method. (I like the ingredients of the GMA, but the method of the C@H is much easier and tastier.) Make sense?

(Since I'm using the laptop and may have to struggle to pull up the recipes, I will post those separate....also dinner is almost done.)

Re: Marinara or Spaghetti Sauce and Meatballs - Lorraine - 01-22-2009

Billy. my favourite meatball recipe is the one from the Sopranos. I double or triple the recipe, and freeze what we don't eat. Mind you, these are meatballs I'm only using with pasta of some sort.

Here you go Billy. I hope this makes sense. I use the ingredients from the Mama's Meatballs(If I remember correctly, it was Wolfgang and his mother making these on GMA....very funny as Mama wanted to do it her way, and did not understand time constraints. It got kinda funny.), but the cooking technique of the C@H. (Baking in beef broth.) I have tried both marinara sauces AND Jean's. I prefer Jean's for pizza and would be happy to make it for meatball subs or pasta, but for normal use, I use Giada's for spaghetti/pasta dishes....just a personal preference. I can't explain the difference except Jean's has the flavor I imagine for a pizza, while Giada's has the flavor I expect in a spaghetti.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Mama's Meat Balls

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Beef Pork

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/4 cup chicken stock
1/8 yellow onion -- I use about 1/2 a small onion
2/3 clove garlic -- I use at least one large one
1/8 cup fresh Italian parsley -- chopped fine
1/3 pound ground beef
1/3 pound ground pork
1/3 pound ground veal
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1 1/3 eggs -- I just used one large egg.
1/8 cup Parmesan cheese -- grated (I used more like 1/4 cup)
2/3 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2/3 teaspoon salt
1/8 cup extra virgin olive oil
Simple Tomato Sauce

Place the chicken stock, onion, garlic and parsley in a blender or food processor and puree.

In a large bowl, combine the pureed stock mix, meat, bread crumbs, eggs, Parmigiana-Reggiano, red pepper flakes, parsley and salt. Combine with both hands until mixture is uniform. Do not over mix.

Put a little olive oil on your hands and form mixture into balls a little larger than golf balls. They should be about ¼ cup each, though if you prefer bigger or smaller, it will only affect the browning time.

Pour about 1/2-inch of extra virgin olive oil into a straight-sided, 10-inch-wide sauté pan and heat over medium-high flame. Add the meatballs to the pan (working in batches if necessary) and brown meatballs, turning once. This will take about 10-15 minutes.

While the meatballs are browning, heat the marinara sauce in a stockpot over medium heat. Lift the meatballs out of the sauté pan with a slotted spoon and put them in the marinara sauce. Stir gently. Simmer for one hour. Serve with a little extra Parmigiano-Reggiano sprinkled on top.

Description:
"Great recipe for a sub or with pasta!"
Source:
"Good Morning America"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
NOTES : Serve alone or over spaghetti (in which case, you will need 6 cups of marinara). Or make a meatball sub by splitting them in half, scoop out some of the bread in your bun, add meatballs and marinara, top with a few basil leaves and mozzarella and toast.

Me: I usually double this recipe and freeze half after cooking. Since veal is not usually available around here, I just use half and half pork and beef.

12/30/07 I used my homemade Italian sausage in place of the pork and they were very good.

I have also made these by baking in the oven with some beef broth in the bottom of the sheet pan with the meatballs. I discovered this technique on C@H.

Simple Tomato Sauce

Recipe By :Giada De Laurentiis
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Sides and Sauces

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 small onion -- chopped
1 clove garlic -- chopped
1/2 stalk celery -- chopped
1/2 carrot -- chopped
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
32 ounces tomatoes -- crushed
1 bay leaves
2 tablespoons butter -- unsalted

In a large casserole pot or Dutch over, heat oil over medium high heat.

Add onion and garlic and saute until soft and translucent, about 5 to 10 minutes.

Add celery and carrots and season with salt and pepper. Saute until all the vegetables are soft, about 5 to 10 minutes.

Add tomatoes and bay leaves and simmer uncovered on low heat for 1 hour or until thick.

Remove bay leaves and check for seasoning. If sauce still tastes acidic, add unsalted butter, 1 tablespoon at a time to round out the flavors.

Add 1/2 the tomato sauce into the bowl of a food processor. Process until smooth. Continue with remaining tomato sauce.

Description:
"This basic sauce is my favorite for many dishes. I'll never go back to jarred sauces again. This is too easy."
Cuisine:
"Italian"
Source:
"Everyday Italian"

Basic Meatballs

Recipe By :Cuisine at Home
Categories : Beef

Stir together:
1 cup bread crumbs
3/4 cup Parmesan cheese -- finely grated
1/2 cup whole milk
1/2 cup low sodium beef broth
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
3 eggs -- beaten
2 tablespoons dried oregano
1 tablespoon garlic -- minced
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon ground black pepper -- use half
2 teaspoons dried basil -- or a bunch of fresh
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes -- use half
1 Pinch nutmeg
Add Shape:
2 pounds ground chuck
Cover bottom of pan with:
1 cup low sodium beef broth
Tomato sauce

Preheat oven to 450 degrees

Stir together all ingredients except ground meat in a large bowl.

Add the ground chuck and mix together thoroughly.

Shape the mixture into balls about 2"in diameter.

Coat a baking sheet or shallow roasting pan with nonstick cooking spray. Space the meatballs so that they are not crowded together.

Cover the bottom of the pan with beef broth.

Bake for 25 minutes or until the meatballs are just cooked through. Reserve pan juices for sauce.

Source:
"Cuisine at Home, October 2002, issue 35"
S(Internet Address):
"http://www.forums.cuisineathome.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=1&Number=54675&Searchpage=1&Main=54638&Words=meatballs+cjs&topic=&Search=true#Post54675"
NOTES : 4/6/08 These were very good. I doubled the recipe and used 1:1:2 ground chicken, ground round, and Italian sausage. I also reduced the pepper and red pepper by half.

Tomato sauce

Recipe By :Cuisine at Home
Categories :

Saute:
1/4 cup olive oil
1 1/2 cups yellow onion -- diced
Stir in:
2 teaspoons garlic -- minced
Add and simmer:
43 1/2 ounces plum tomato, whole -- crushed
1/2 cup reserved meatball pan drippings
1/2 cup fresh parsley -- minced
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes -- use half
Salt to taste

Subs:
Prepare 4 6" hoagie buns, hollowed. Brush with 2 T. olive oil

Fill with, bake: Mozzarella cheese--until melted and browned

Fill with tomato sauce and meatballs

Top with: Tomato sauce and grated Parmesan

Source:
"Cuisine at Home, October 2002, issue 35"
S(Internet Address):

****BTW....Recently I found an old recipe from an old Italian spaghetti house we used to love to dine at regularly. It is an old style recipe for adding pork and beef ribs in the sauce while it simmers, for flavor. I have never cooked it myself, but I can attest to the magnificent flavor at the restaurant. AND I will probably make it very soon. The ingredients sound like a winner. This weekend, I will type it into MC9 and post it for you. Again, I have never made it, but it is VERY traditional Brooklyn style marinara...old school! The little old lady that made it was ancient when I used to eat there over 40 years ago. Some friends knew the family and acquired the recipe just before they closed years ago. I can't wait to try it!!!!!

Re: Marinara or Spaghetti Sauce and Meatballs - bjcotton - 01-22-2009

That ought to be easy to find Lorraine, since you gave me that cookbook

Re: Marinara or Spaghetti Sauce and Meatballs - sophia - 01-22-2009

Billy, this recipe came from David Rosengarten when he was
on TV years ago. It is without a doubt the best spaghetti
and meatballs (both) we've ever eaten. I've also included
a tomato sauce recipe that we like a lot on spaghetti, but
for some reason I've used it mostly for manicotti.

Hope they appeal. I think they're both worth the effort.

Spaghetti and Meatballs

For the tomato sauce:
3/4 c minced garlic 1 t ground pepper
3/4 c olive oil 1 T chopped parsley
(2) 1 lb 8-oz cans of 2 T chopped fresh basil
crushed, peeled tomatoes with juice 2 heaping t salt
2 tomato cans of water sugar to taste

For the meatballs:
1 1/2 c soft white bread cubes 1/4 c finely minced parsley
1/3 c milk Salt and pepper to taste
1 small egg 2 T olive oil
1 lb ground beef 1 lb spaghetti
1/2 c grated Romano cheese 1 T butter
1/2 teaspoon finely minced garlic

Tomato sauce:
Heat oil in a casserole. Add garlic and stir until lightly golden. Then add the crushed tomatoes with their juice, 2 tomato cans of water, the ground pepper, chopped parsley, chopped fresh basil and salt. Then taste it. If it seems a little acidic, add a little sugar. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer, stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes.

Meatballs:
In a bowl mix together the milk and egg. Add mixture to bowl of bread cubes. Toss to coat. Let the bread stand for 15 minutes. Mash the bread cubes and add to a 1 lb of ground beef, grated Romano, garlic, and parsley. Mix together. Add salt and pepper to taste. With wet hands form walnut size balls. Brown the meatballs lightly in olive oil. Add meatballs to 6 c sauce bubbling in pot. Simmer 45 minutes.

Cook the spaghetti in boiling, salted water for the length of time specified on the box. Drain spaghetti by lifting it out of its cooking pot in a strainer/colander, pour the water out of the pot, transfer some cooked spaghetti from strainer/colander to pot in which it was cooked.

Ladle some sauce over pasta. Stir to coat. Add a knob of butter and toss again. Add meatballs and toss. Plate the pasta on 4 serving plates or pasta bowls. Add more sauce on top. Serve immediately with a block of Parmigiano-Reggiano and a cheese grater on the side. Yield: 4 servings

Mc Cormick’s Tomato Sauce

3 1/2 c plum tomatoes, no. 2 1/2 can, I use Progresso Crushed peeled tomatoes with added puree
6-oz can tomato sauce; I use Contadina
3 c water
2 T instant minced onions
1/2 t garlic powder
1/2 t oregano leaves
1 t Bon Appetit
1 bay leaf
1 1/2 t salt
1/4 t black pepper
1 t sugar
1/4 t MSG
1/4 t crushed red pepper; I use less
2 T olive oil or salad oil
1 T Arrowroot, optional

Force tomatoes through a coarse sieve to puree and remove seed. Combine the tomato puree and remaining ingredients, except arrowroot in glass or stainless steel saucepan. Bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 1 hr. Remove bay leaf. For a thicker sauce, simmer 20 minutes longer; or thicken by making a thin smooth paste of arrowroot and equal amount of water. Stir until it’s thick.

Note: I use this for Manicotti.

For Pizza: simmer 1 hour 20 minutes or until very thick. Spread over pizza dough.
Sprinkle with Parmesan, oregano leaves, olives, goodies. Makes (2) 12” pizzas.

Re: Marinara or Spaghetti Sauce and Meatballs - firechef - 01-22-2009

I seem to remember a good one I got from Jean...I'll have to search my electronic notebook and see if I can find it.

I think the key to a good pasta is a great sauce...a bad sauce will ruin even the greatest pasta.

Heck...couldn't wait. Talk about a labor of love... this is it!

Brooklyn House Spaghetti/Lasagna Sauce

5 each pork chops
5 beef baby back ribs
5 large cans tomato sauce
olive oil
1 large can tomato paste
2 stalks celery
3 green peppers
3 large onions
1 clove garlic, pressed (10)*
1 beef bouillon cube
3/4 cup Parmesan
3/4 cup Parsley
1/4 cup Oregano
2 bay leaves
1/4 cup basil
4 teaspoons thyme
salt
pepper
1 cup red wine

Brown the meat in olive oil. Salt and pepper the meat. Remove the meat from olive oil and brown tomato paste in drippings for about 5 minutes. Add 2 cans of water; cook for 20 minutes. Add tomato sauce, and 2 cans of water. Add meat back in and 3/4 cup parsley.

Saute onions and add green peppers quartered; add whole celery stalk. (I'm assuming you saute the onions and peppers, then add that and whole celery to sauce.) Cook for 5 hours. Then remove green pepper, celery and meat. Shred meat, add back to sauce. Add cheese (3/4 cup), and 1 cup wine; add 1/4 cup basil, 1/4 cup oregano, 4 teaspoons thyme, bay leaves, and pressed garlic. Mix bouillon with 1/4 cup of water and add to sauce.

Season with black pepper and red pepper to taste. Cook for one hour.

*I'm assuming this should be 1 head of garlic or 10 cloves.

Re: Marinara or Spaghetti Sauce and Meatballs - firechef - 01-22-2009

Good golly this sounds good but...wow, am I missing something or does the pork just vanish? How about taking the meat off the bone and grinding it and adding it to any meat for the sauce???

Sorry, I typed it from the recipe card and am editing after. Look again. It is added back in. This was the most awesome sauce I have ever eaten. The recipe has been lost for years, but I recently found it and can't wait to try it. I think the flaws in the original were due to the person recording it leaving out certain details. I'm pretty sure the ingredients are true. The method may have to be played with. I can't wait to play with this. I don't have a lot of outstanding dining experiences from my childhood, but the spaghetti/lasagna and pizzas from this place really stand out. I hate I don't have their sauce for pizza. It was REALLY good! I bet some of the above recipe was used.