Cuisine at home Forums
CaH Flour weights - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: CaH Flour weights (/showthread.php?tid=74832)

CaH Flour weights - Cubangirl - 01-26-2009

I am compiling a list of flour weights and methods of measurement for my favorite magazines and cookbook authors. I know CAH uses the aerate, scoop and sweep measure, but does anyone know how much a cup of flour weighs. I am transferring all my favorite recipes to Living Cookbook and want to enter the correct weight for a cup of ap flour. Thanks.

Re: CaH Flour weights - Roxanne 21 - 01-26-2009

WELCOME Cubangirl----not sure how to answer your question only because the flour here is very different from the one you have there!!

Hope to see what your final result is--please keep us informed!

I might try to measure and give you my result---interested??

Re: CaH Flour weights - cjs - 01-26-2009

You'll probably get as many answers to this question as there are folks around! This is only my standard for measuring flour.

All purpose - sifted: 1 cup = 4 oz.
All purpose - unsifted: 1 cup = 5 oz.
Bread flour - sifted: 1 cup = 5 oz.
Cake flour - sifted: 1 cup = 3 1/2 oz.
Cake flour - unsifted: 1 cup = 4 oz.
Whole Wheat - sifted: 1 cup = 4 1/2 oz.
Whole Wheat - unseifted: 1 cup = 5 1/2 oz.

Welcome to the forum also, Cubangirl. Now let's see how many opinions you get on this.

Re: CaH Flour weights - Cubangirl - 01-26-2009

Thanks, it is frustrating that the weight of one cup of flour in a recipe is different depending on the source. I could not find CAHs. For example recipes from King Arthur flour use the stir and lightly spoon method and a cup weighs 4.25 ounces, whereas Cook's Illustrated and Rose Levy Beranbaum believe in dip and sweep so their cups weigh 5 ounces. Fine Cooking is aerate, spoon and sweep at 4.5. For recipes with a few cups of flour, that is a huge difference. Not a problem when the weight is given with the volume measurement, but often it is not.

Re: CaH Flour weights - Mare749 - 01-27-2009

I agree, it is confusing, so I rely on Jean's list and it works well for me.

Welcome Cubangirl! Please come back and join us often. You will have a lot of fun here and everyone is so nice.

Maryann