Cuisine at home Forums
Bacon Explosion - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Bacon Explosion (/showthread.php?tid=75159)

Bacon Explosion - sophia - 01-30-2009

I have seen a recipe for weaving bacon strips and forming them over a custard cup to make a basket for scrambled eggs or other good things, but this new recipe sweeping the internet seems like it's way off the charts, and probably very delicious!

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/28/dining/28bacon.html?_r=4&ref=dining

Re: Bacon Explosion - cjs - 01-30-2009

Oh my, that sounds like a fun way to serve scrambled eggs!!!

Re: Bacon Explosion - labradors - 01-30-2009

Here's an interesting on from an episode of The Two Fat Ladies a long time ago. The episode's theme was "Picnic," so this is actually intended to be eaten cold or at room temperature, but not hot. I made it about six or seven years ago, and really liked it. I used a little more mace than they specified, since the amount in the recipe just seemed too low. Of course, remember: a little mace goes a LONG way.

Mitton of Pork
(From The Two Fat Ladies)

Ingredients:
  • 8 Oz of Rashers of streaky bacon
  • 1 1/2 Lbs of Pork fillet, thinly sliced
  • 6 ounces Sage and onion stuffing; not from a packet (see below)
  • salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground mace
Instructions:
  1. Line a 7-inch pudding basin [a 7-inch, oven-safe bowl] with most of the bacon rasher, reserving a few for the top. Put in a layer of pork, then stuffing, season with salt, pepper and mace.
  2. Continue this layering process until the basin is full, finishing with the reserved bacon. Press down well, then cover tightly.
  3. Stand the basin in a baking pan to catch drips. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 1 hour.
  4. Place a weighted board over the pudding and leave until completely cold. Turn out the mitton and slice to serve.
Sage and Onion Stuffing
(For use in the Mitton of Pork)

Combine together the following:
  • 2 cups bread crumbs
  • 1 onion, minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon sage
  • 1/2 teaspoon savory
  • broth to moisten
  • salt and pepper to taste

Re: Bacon Explosion - bjcotton - 01-30-2009

Good Lord! Sounds delish. I'll eat the bacon and you can have the sausage

Re: Bacon Explosion - sophia - 01-30-2009

Now that looks like one I would actually make, and it does sound delicious. Thank you 'labs'. I will copy.

It reminds me a little bit of one of our 'early poverty' recipes that I still love to use - Poor Man's Filet Mignon

Poor Man's Filet Mignon

2 lb hamburger
1 egg beaten
2 T Worcestershire sauce
1 t salt
1/2 t pepper
3/4 c chopped black olives
2 c dry packaged poultry stuffing
6-8 slices bacon

Combine all ingredients except poultry stuffing and bacon; roll or pat into rectangle 3/8"-1/2" thick on waxed paper. Prepare stuffing as directed; spread evenly over meat. Roll into a log. Chill until firm; slice to desired thickness. Wrap each portion with a bacon slice fastening with a wooden toothpick. Broil or grill outside; test for doneness with thermometer. 6-8 servings.

Re: Bacon Explosion - Gourmet_Mom - 01-30-2009

Where is Sharon? She is the Queen of the Fattie! Like I said in Buzz's thread, I've only tried it once...a pizza fattie with Italian sausage, tomatoes, pepperoni, and cheese....YUM! I will be trying others, but it is such a guilt trip, but OH SO GOOD!

Re: Bacon Explosion - Harborwitch - 01-30-2009

It sounds just like a Fattie! Not a very imaginative one, but a beautiful juicy fatty nonetheless.

Daphne I think the pizza fatties are the best!

Re: Bacon Explosion - Gourmet_Mom - 01-30-2009

Sharon, I want to do another one soon, but can't decide which one to try. I like the breakfast ones, but I just don't think that's it. I'm wondering about a "take" on an Italian sub....different meats, tomato, and cheese, then serve on shredded lettuce and "stuff" sprinkled with vinaigrette. But I'm afraid the sausage (Italian or regular) would overpower the stuffing. Then there's the Reuben, but I am just not a big sauerkraut fan. If you've tried a good one, let me know. It's been about 3-4 months, so it's about time to do this again.

(Note: Notice Jean has not tried this...I think she's "scairt" of the fat! SHHHHH!)

Re: Bacon Explosion - cjs - 01-30-2009

I don't know why I haven't done this yet - it sounds so darn good.

Re: Bacon Explosion - Harborwitch - 01-30-2009

We did a bacon cheeseburger one the other day. Not so good. I used hamburger, it was too lean and didn't want to roll up. Tasted great, but not so pretty - did do the bacon weave wrap though.

I really liked the bratwurst one, and my mind just flipped to a Chorizo Fattie. Chorizo layered with Mexican rice, beans, onions, olives, cheese, oh my - with a couple chiles rellenos inside. Cr@p! I'm drooling on the keyboard again. I have everything but the chorizo. Linguica might be good too -