Cuisine at home Forums
Beet & Corn Salad - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Beet & Corn Salad (/showthread.php?tid=75761)

Beet & Corn Salad - cjs - 02-07-2009

I found this little goodie of a salad on my MasterCook the other day, made it last night and it's so flavorful. We both just loved it - it's one of those you just have to keep nibbling on. I used the roasted corn I still have a little of left in the freezer, so frozen corn does work in it.

Beet and Corn Salad
Serving Size : 8

DRESSING:
2 fluid ounces fresh lime juice
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
salt and pepper -- to taste
4 fluid ounces extra virgin olive oil
4 fluid ounces corn oil
SALAD:
1 pound beets -- small, red, gold or candy stripe
salt -- to taste
6 ears of corn -- silk removed
1 green onion -- minced
1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
4 ounces goat cheese -- crumbled
black pepper -- to taste
1 bunch arugula

To make the dressing, whisk together the lime juice, sugar, salt and pepper. Slowly whisk in the oils to emulsify.

Boil the beets in salted water until tender, approximately 15 minutes. Drain, cool, peel, dice and reserve.

Boil the ears of corn in salted water until tender, approximately 3 minutes. Drain, cool, cut the kernels from the cobs and reserve.

In a stainless steel bowl, mix together the beets, corn, green onion, cilantro and goat cheese. Toss with the dressing and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper. Garnish with the arugula and serve.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
NOTES : John Broening, Executive Chef, Primitivo Wine Bar, Colorado Springs, CO
----
[Image: BeetCornSalad.jpg]

I'm just sorry I only made 1/2 the recipe this time. darn.

Re: Beet & Corn Salad - Gourmet_Mom - 02-07-2009

My boys were sports when I tried the ravioli, but I'm not sure they really liked it all that much. I don't think they're ready for that earthy flavor yet, but I'm saving it for when the garden gets going. Maybe they'll like this application better.

Re: Beet & Corn Salad - labradors - 02-07-2009

If that red stuff were cranberries, instead of beets, I could go for this.

Re: Beet & Corn Salad - luvnit - 02-07-2009

Looks great Jean. I love beets, but I usually eat them plain. This looks interesting and looks like a great summer salad. We like to grill a lot and often just marinate some meat and pull a couple of salads out of the fridge for dinner. I'll have to remember to make this one.