Cuisine at home Forums
Kahlua Fudge bites - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Kahlua Fudge bites (/showthread.php?tid=77052)

Kahlua Fudge bites - pjcooks - 02-23-2009

Here ya go, Jean. These were reallyreally good, a cross between a fudge brownie and , well, fudge I guess. A keeper for sure!

Kahlúa Fudge Bites
by Abigail Johnson Dodge
read reviews (5)
Like this recipe? Become a member for access to thousands more! These are very chocolatey and rich, which is why I like to cut them into smaller, bite-size squares.
Yields about 8 dozen 1-inch squares

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tip: For the best results, measure your flour by weight instead of volume. (1 cup of all-purpose flour equals 4-1/2 oz.) If you don’t have a scale, be sure to use the proper technique when filling your measuring cups.
9 oz. (2 cups) unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. table salt
3/4 lb. (1-1/2 cups) unsalted butter; more for the pan
3 oz. (1 cup) unsweetened natural cocoa powder (not Dutch-processed)
3 cups very firmly packed light brown sugar
4 large eggs
2 Tbs. coffee-flavored liqueur (I use Kahlúa) or 1-1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract

For the glaze:
6 oz. bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
3 oz. (6 Tbs.) unsalted butter, cut into 6 pieces
1 Tbs. light corn syrup

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Position a rack in the middle of the oven and heat to 325° F. Lightly grease the bottom and sides of a 9x13-inch baking pan.

In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt to blend. Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the cocoa powder until smooth. Whisk in the brown sugar until blended. Add the eggs, one at a time, whisking until just blended. Whisk in the coffee liquer along with the last egg. Sprinkle the flour over the mixture and stir with a rubber spatulla until just blended. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and spread it evenly. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few small, moist clumps sticking to it, about 30 minutes. (Don't overbake, or the squares won't be fudgy.) Transfer the pan to a rack to let cool completely.

Make the chocolate glaze:
In a medium bowl, melt the chocolate, butter and corn syrup in a microwave or over barely simmering water, whisking until smooth. Pour the glaze onto the center of the cooled, uncut fudge bars. Using an offset spatula, spread the glaze evenly to cover completely. Refrigerate until the glaze is set, about 30 minutes. Cut into 1-inch squares.

photo: Scott Phillips
From Fine Cooking 68, pp. 65
December 1, 2004

PJ

Re: Kahlua Fudge bites - cjs - 02-23-2009

oh geez, PJ...thank you I think. (yeah, it's even copied)

Re: Kahlua Fudge bites - HomeCulinarian - 02-23-2009

These sound absolutely sinful... Yum!

Re: Kahlua Fudge bites - farnfam - 02-23-2009

mmmmmm Kahlua

Have you all seen my 'phallic' symbol that my best friend and I store our Kahlua in?? When we get together, whoever has the 'symbol' makes the kahlua for that visit and the other takes it home with them for the next get together. We've been trading this little goodie back and forth for more than 10 years.

Wanna see a pix?

[Image: kahluabottle.jpg]

and here's the kahlua we've been making since 1974!

* Exported from MasterCook *

KAHLUA

1 1/2 cups brown sugar -- packed
1 cup white sugar
2 cups water
1/2 cup Instant Yuban coffee -- (I've also used Medaglia D'Oro Instant Espresso with great results)
3 cups vodka
1/2 fresh Vanilla Bean -- split in half lengthwise

In a large saucepan stir together the sugars and the water; bring to a boil and boil for 5 min. Take off stove & stir in the instant coffee.

While the sugar mixture is boiling, pour the vodka in a large NON-plastic container and add the split vanilla bean.

Pour sugar mixture into the vodka and quickly cover with lid. Makes ~5 cups.

Description:
"Kahlua is best made a couple of weeks ahead of time! Oh my, in our youth a couple of friends and I used to drink Kahlua every time we got together and a lot of times we had to use ice to cool the batch before enjoying."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Tacky old women!!

Re: Kahlua Fudge bites - Lorraine - 02-23-2009

Neat picture, and tradition! I'm thinking the friend must be Colleenie? This is a great sounding recipe, but I think he'd fall over dead with all the sugar in it.

Not good for diabetics that's for sure!! Yup, Coleenie.

Re: Kahlua Fudge bites - Lorraine - 02-23-2009

Thanks.

Re: Kahlua Fudge bites - Gourmet_Mom - 02-23-2009

Funny, I'm guessing Coleenie is the friend in Hawaii? Too cool!

Good grief PJ, are you trying to kill me? I SO love Kahlua. I had a nasty habit with it for several years...did you know it keeps you awake at night...LOL!?!?!? DUH! I've kicked the habit, but still love it...see my review post. So I'm sure I'll be making this one very soon...before the Kahlua runs out!

Re: Kahlua Fudge bites - pjcooks - 02-23-2009

Do try this recipe, Daphne, it's sooo good. I cut them into 1" squares, they are so rich but so worth it. Not too much Kahlua in them but I aded extra you know me! Next time I might add some Irish Cream to the glaze, mudslide in a bite

PJ