Cuisine at home Forums
5 grain walnut bread - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: 5 grain walnut bread (/showthread.php?tid=77690)

5 grain walnut bread - Harborwitch - 03-02-2009

I printed this one out when Billy was here - thinking we might make it; but we were having too much fun.

I made this last week and Bob said I could just rotate between this and popcorn bread as far as he was concerned. It toasts beautifully, and is nice and moist. See my notes at the end of the recipe.

Five-Grain Bread with Walnuts
adapted from Carol Field
Makes 2 9 X 5-inch loaves
1 1/4cups (300 grams) walnut pieces
3 3/4 teaspoons active dry yeast or 1 1/2 small cakes (27 grams) fresh
yeast
1/4 cup warm water
3 cups water, room temperature
3 3/4 cups (500 grams) unbleached all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cups (125 grams) oat flour or finely ground rolled oats
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons (125 grams) rye flour
1 cup less 1 tablespoon (125 grams) whole-wheat flour
3/4 cup (125 grams) brown rice flour
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon (20 grams) salt

Toast the walnuts for 10 minutes in a 400° F oven; then chop in a food processor fitted with the steel blade or with a sharp knife to the size of a fat rice kernel. Do not grind them finely.

Stir the yeast into the warm water in a mixer bowl; let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes. Stir in 3 cups water. Stir in the flours, walnuts, and salt with the paddle. Mix until the dough comes together. Change to the dough hook and knead for 3 to 4 minutes at medium speed until firm and elastic but still slightly sticky. Finish kneading briefly by hand on a surface floured with all-purpose flour.

First Rise. Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.

Shaping and Second Rise. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. The dough should be moist, firm, and noticeably elastic, if slightly sticky. Cut the dough in half and shape each half into an oval loaf to fit a loaf pan. Place the loaves in the oiled pans (preferably glass), cover with a heavy towel, and let rise until truly doubled and fully above the tops of the pans, 1 to 1 ¼ hours.
Baking. Heat oven to 400° F. Slash a pattern in the top of the loaves. One baker in Milan cuts the shape of a stalk of grain on the top; elsewhere bakers make 3 parallel slashes. Bake 40 to 45 minutes; bake the last 5 to 10 minutes out of the pans on a baking stone or baking sheet to brown the bottoms and sides. Cool completely on a rack.

I didn't have finely ground oats so I tossed 50% rolled oats and 50% wheat flakes in the food processor and processed until they were fairly fine. I didn't have brown rice flour - used spelt flour instead. I think you can use whatever grains you have on hand - just keeping the measurements per each. It also needs more salt - and I'll leave this to each of you to determine.

I made one sandwich loaf and two baguettes. This bread is amazing - reminds me of the walnut bread sandwiches I used to get at Frederick & Nelson's back in the 60's (excellent with their crab salad!).

Re: 5 grain walnut bread - cjs - 03-02-2009

Oh crap, I'll just have to try this....

Re: 5 grain walnut bread - Gourmet_Mom - 03-02-2009

HOLY COW! Do you remember that restro we went to last spring? They had the awesome rolls? Well anyway, I have been looking for something like that. I think this may just do the trick! The only change I may try after the original test will be to add sliced almonds instead of walnuts or maybe half and half. While I love walnuts, I want to try to replicate that roll at that restro!

This is on the project list for this weekend!

Re: 5 grain walnut bread - Mare749 - 03-02-2009

This sounds like an amazing recipe, Sharon. Will definately have to try it. Can you tell me where you buy brown rice flour? Does Bob's Red Mill carry that or do you have to go to a health food store? Don't recall seeing that. Thanks for posting.

Maryann

Re: 5 grain walnut bread - Gourmet_Mom - 03-03-2009

I'll be interested in this answer Maryann. I had planned on taking desperate measures and pulverizing brown rice if I couldn't find it...that or use rice flour (assuming I can find THAT)!

Re: 5 grain walnut bread - Harborwitch - 03-03-2009

I know that Bob's Red Mill has brown rice flour - if you have a Vitamix you can make brown rice flour from brown rice. I used spelt flour instead of brown rice flour.

Re: 5 grain walnut bread - Mare749 - 03-03-2009

Thanks Sharon. No, I don't have a Vitamix, but I'm sure it's one of those appliances that I would love to have! Fortunately, I do have access to a huge line of Bob's Red Mill products so should be able to find what I need.

Daphne, I'll let you know what I find and will mail you some in a ziploc.

Re: 5 grain walnut bread - Gourmet_Mom - 03-03-2009

Thanks Maryann! I know I haven't seen the brown rice flour, but THINK I've seen the spelt, but I'll have to wait until I can go to the city, or DD comes home and can bring me some.

Re: 5 grain walnut bread - Harborwitch - 03-03-2009

I've fallen in love with spelt flour. I found a pancake recipe somewhere that is made with spelt - Bob says those will do just fine for now on.

Re: 5 grain walnut bread - foodfiend - 03-04-2009

Sharon, just what do you like so much about spelt flour? I've never used it (and that recipe looks wonderful-- I may make it this weekend!).