Cuisine at home Forums
Delacata? - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Delacata? (/showthread.php?tid=77742)

Delacata? - Old Bay - 03-03-2009

What does Patagonian toothfish and squid have in common with US farm raised catfish?
The first was re named Chilean sea bass and the second was changed on menus to calamari--sales soared. Soon you will see this catfish refered to as "delacata" in fine dining circles and grocery stores according to SAVEUR's current issue.
They also mention that farm raised catfish is probably the only fish that taste better than the wild caught. They are right.

Re: Delacata? - farnfam - 03-03-2009

¡Toda bien!

I love all three of those

Re: Delacata? - cjs - 03-03-2009

Catfish!!! My favorite fish! that's interesting. I'm memorizing "Delacata"!!!

Re: Delacata? - luvnit - 03-03-2009

I just read an article about this. It seems Cat Cora is involved somehow.

Quote:

The trademarked Delacata, which celebrity chef Cat Cora has signed on to endorse, will be what filet mignon is to beef, he says.

To read the whole article: Farmer's Pond Blogspot

Re: Delacata? - Old Bay - 03-03-2009

Quote:

I just read an article about this. It seems Cat Cora is involved somehow.

[blockquote]Quote:

The trademarked Delacata, which celebrity chef Cat Cora has signed on to endorse, will be what filet mignon is to beef, he says.

To read the whole article: Farmer's Pond Blogspot

[/blockquote]

"Cat" Cora is the national spokesperson for the Farm Raised Catfish Assoc. Nice catch ( )--wonder if she will change her name to Delacata Cora??

it has a ring to it!

Re: Delacata? - Harborwitch - 03-03-2009

Uh, isn't calamari squid????? That has always been my undertanding. I thought catfish was just catfish - unless it is the imported farm raised catfish from Vietnam; then it is called Basa.

Re: Delacata? - luvnit - 03-03-2009

LOL! Too funny! I didn't see the "cat" connection until you pointed it out.

Re: Delacata? - Old Bay - 03-03-2009

Quote:

Uh, isn't calamari squid????? That has always been my undertanding. I thought catfish was just catfish - unless it is the imported farm raised catfish from Vietnam; then it is called Basa.

I've never heard of Basa, but yes, calamari and squid are the same, it just sells better if you call it calamari. The catfish farmers are playing the same game--they are betting that delacata will sell better than catfish so they are changing the name--you get more for polenta than grits, Chilean sea bass than Caladonian toothfish, filet mignon than beef tenderloin. Clever devils--

bottom feeders just doesn't have the same ring does it??