Cuisine at home Forums
Soup That is Too Thin - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Soup That is Too Thin (/showthread.php?tid=78227)

Soup That is Too Thin - cjs - 03-07-2009

Every once in a while either my ham & bean or split pea soup turns out thinner than I like. And that happened with my last batch of split pea - most of it, I just served in cups and we were happy. But night before last I wanted something more substantial.

I purred (well really, I pureed ) a can of butter beans in the food processor and added to the soup - what a great texture they gave the soup instantly and the flavor was great!

So, I played again last night with some more - had a container (about 1 - 1 1/2 cups) of baked lima beans with some kind of BBQ sauce (can't remember) that I pureed and added to the soup. Wow, what a wonderful flavor.

So, just thought I'd pass along the idea that too thin soup is really not such a bad thing - just makes us play a little more. For what it's worth.

Re: Soup That is Too Thin - Gourmet_Mom - 03-07-2009

Great idea about the butter beans! I never thought of that. I bet it would work with any soup OR stew.

Re: Soup That is Too Thin - pjcooks - 03-07-2009

That is a good idea. I'd probably never get them into the soup, I love butter beans and have been known to eat them right out of the can

PJ

Re: Soup That is Too Thin - bbally - 03-07-2009

You can also keep refried beans handy, does a great job of thickening up a loose stock and adding depth.

Re: Soup That is Too Thin - luvnit - 03-07-2009

Good idea Jean. Every once in a while that happens to me too. I will keep that in mind!

Re: Soup That is Too Thin - Mare749 - 03-07-2009

What a great idea, Jean. Never thought of that. Have used mashed potatoes, but a can of beans would be tastier.

Re: Soup That is Too Thin - esgunn - 03-07-2009

I probably wouldn't have thought about it, but my white turkey/chicken chili, I mash two of the cans of white beans to make a thick base and leave the third can whole for the whole bean texture. It is great.

I haven't made that is a while - I think I may just need to make it this next week. Should have some leftover chicken from beer can chicken tonight.

Re: Soup That is Too Thin - HomeCulinarian - 03-07-2009

That's a great idea, and also adds fiber to the recipe.

Re: Soup That is Too Thin - cjs - 03-07-2009

"also adds fiber to the recipe." - ...and we getting of an age, aren't we?

Re: Soup That is Too Thin - HomeCulinarian - 03-07-2009

Quote:

"also adds fiber to the recipe." - ...and we getting of an age, aren't we?

'tis true.