Cuisine at home Forums
Chopped Salad - Confused - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Chopped Salad - Confused (/showthread.php?tid=80659)

Chopped Salad - Confused - DFen911 - 04-21-2009

Ok so I have a possible bridal shower luncheon. Party of 20. They want a pasta salad (hot), 2 appetizers (1 hot and 1 cold) and a salad. She says "I would really like a chopped salad instead of a regular salad". I'm like Huh? Now usually I tear the leaves, but I make sure to tear them in smaller pieces so they don't bruise.

But she wants chopped...am I missing something here? Isn't it the same? I see some recipes where it says to chop the lettuce in 1/8 long strips. Well that can't be easy to eat. Others say in 1 inch hunks.

The colors for the shower are purple, green and pink. I'm thinking for one of the appetizers to work in purple potatoes. Maybe sliced thin, fried and garnished with a dip of some sort.

Re: Chopped Salad - Confused - HomeCulinarian - 04-21-2009

Here is a picture of Portillo's chopped salad. This, to me, is the best chopped salad... [Image: 2671206137_92108fa34b.jpg]

Re: Chopped Salad - Confused - esgunn - 04-21-2009

I used to get a chopped salad at Cuchina Cuchina (I think they went out of business). And it was lettuce and lots of goodies don't remember all but there were chick peas, but everything was the same size.

Here is a link to a knock off recipe of it - it sounds really good. I don't know if it is a method or an actual type of salad (meat, lettuce, cheese, beans, onions etc.)

Cuchina! Cuchina! Chopped Salad

Re: Chopped Salad - Confused - cjs - 04-21-2009

I always think of a cobb salad when I see chopped salad - just little bite-size goodies.

"Maybe sliced thin, fried and garnished with a dip of some sort." - maybe top the slices with sour cream and a dot of caviar? or gravlax, sour cream and a chive?

or brainstorming here -

pipe this pinkish mousse on the potato and garnish with green basil?

ROASTED RED BELL PEPPER AND BASIL MOUSSE

1 lb cream Cheese -- room temp
2 roasted red bell peppers -- chopped fine
3 Tbsps fresh basil -- chopped fine
1 clove garlic -- minced
S & P to taste
1 pkg Carr Crackers

Mix cream cheese till smooth.
Add remaining ingredients & mix till combined.
Adjust the seasonings with salt & pepper.
Pipe onto Crackers.
Garnish w/Basil.

From Carr's crackers.

Note: for catering/party - made up my batches and had them in piping bags, ready to go during the party - saves so much time and mess doing this ahead of time. And, so far when I've done this, the mousse has never tightened up too much to pipe.

Description:
"The flavors are so good and it goes really well with Cab and/or a Cab Franc."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Re: Chopped Salad - Confused - Dismc - 04-21-2009

Every time I've ordered a chopped salad it just meant the lettuce and all the other ingredients were all small chopped about the same size.

Re: Chopped Salad - Confused - Trixxee - 04-21-2009

I also think of a cobb salad just cut up small. I think Mimi's Cafe and Lazy Dog Cafe both do their cobbs this way.

Re: Chopped Salad - Confused - bjcotton - 04-21-2009

And the recipe would be where? Pretty please!

Re: Chopped Salad - Confused - DFen911 - 04-21-2009

Yeah HC...what's in that? That looks yummy

Ok so now I know what an official chopped salad is Thanks all!!

Re: Chopped Salad - Confused - HomeCulinarian - 04-21-2009

My SIL has a knock off recipe that I can ask her for. I know it has chicken breast meat, ditalini pasta, bacon, tomatoes... And I'm pretty sure it uses a Newman's Own dressing. When do you need to have it by?

Re: Chopped Salad - Confused - Roxanne 21 - 04-21-2009

Denise----Last September I was invited to a luncheon in New York at the Whitney Museum----supposed to be a very "posh" establishment. We ordered our meals and they were presented beautifully!!! Off the scale delicious!!! Point of my story??? My sister-in-law sent her salad back to the kitchen to be "chopped". I was totally appalled with her request because her salad was absolutely to die for. Anyway, I think that is a trend----some people want really small bites with their salad---WHY??? Don't know but maybe it is a little more "dainty"....GEESH!!! Sounds like a fun function---GOOD LUCK!!! Give me those BIG chunks of lettuce and whatever---I am a happy camper!!!