Cuisine at home Forums
Turkey Tortilla Soup - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Turkey Tortilla Soup (/showthread.php?tid=81603)

Turkey Tortilla Soup - cjs - 05-05-2009

I know we've reviewed this many times over the years, but I just have to repeat this is the best soup C@H has ever done, I think. I had some in the freezer and we had it last night with fresh Black Bean Salsa. It's just a wonderful dinner. Along with homemade tortilla chips. That darn black bean salsa I could eat everyday!!!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Turkey Tortilla Soup

Heat Oil -- Stir in:
2 T. olive oil
1 1/2 cups onion -- minced
2 T. garlic -- minced
3 corn tortillas (6 inch each) -- cut into 1 inch pieces
1 can diced tomatoes with green chilies (101/2 oz.)
4 cups chicken broth
1 t. ground cumin
1 t. ground coriander
1 t. dried oregano
1/2 t. cayenne
Add:
2 cups cooked turkey or chicken -- shredded or cubed
1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 cup Monterey Jack cheese -- shredded
2 T. fresh lime juice
Salt and pepper
Sour cream

Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high; add onions and garlic, and saute 3 minutes. Stir in tortilla pieces and saute until they are no longer crisp. Add tomatoes, broth, and spices, and bring to a boil. Remove from heat; let cool 5 minutes, then puree soup base in batches in a blender or food processor until smooth. Return soup to pot.

Add turkey, corn, and cream. Bring to a boil and simmer 5 minutes, or until beginning to thicken. Reduce heat to medium, sprinkle in cheese, and stir until melted. Add lime juice and season with salt and pepper to taste.

(Cuisine at home, December 2005, Issue 54, p. 36)
Makes: 8 Cups

Black Bean Salsa
Makes: 3 Cups

Combine:
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed (15 oz.)
1 cup tomatoes, seeded, diced
1/2 cup red onion, slivered
1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
2 T. jalapeƱo, seeded, minced
2 T. fresh lime juice
1 T. olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in a bowl, tossing well to coat. Chill salsa until ready to serve.

Re: Turkey Tortilla Soup - Mare749 - 05-05-2009

Thanks for the reminder, Jean. I just love tortilla soup and keep forgetting to make this one.

Re: Turkey Tortilla Soup - carolekv - 05-05-2009

I agree! I would consider this one of our regular family favorites. We occasionally grill extra chicken, and I'll chop it into chunks and use it for this soup a day or two later. The salsa is a perfect addition to it too.

Re: Turkey Tortilla Soup - foodfiend - 05-07-2009

I made this for lunch today and it was fantastic! And I've made lots of versions of tortilla soup.

I used lowfat half & half instead of the whipping cream, though (and, if anyone is interested, you cannot let this product come to a boil or it will separate). Into the half & half I whisked a tablespoon of cornstarch (making a half-recipe because DH likes thicker soups). YUM!!!!

I had roasted a turkey breast last weekend, and made stock from the bones, so I was going to make just plain ol' turkey barley soup. Wrong! Thanks so much for posting this, Jean.

Re: Turkey Tortilla Soup - cjs - 05-08-2009

You're welcome, Vicci - this is one universally loved soup, I think.

Re: Turkey Tortilla Soup - Lorraine - 05-08-2009

I haven't made it yet. I made lots of turkey stock yesterday, so I'll aim for early next week. Thanks for the reminder, Jean.

Re: Turkey Tortilla Soup - chef_Tab - 05-08-2009

I have made something very similar but that recipe has no cream at all and you add the cheese as a garnish, which allows Mr High Cholesterol the option of leaving it out. It is always a favorite and just a thought for an even lower fat version.

The thought just occured to me, that when I took that cooking class for tofu, the instructor seemed to use tofu in place of cream when making soups and sauces, just another idea for those health conscious folks.

Re: Turkey Tortilla Soup - Gourmet_Mom - 05-08-2009

We enjoyed this one also! But it will be months before I make it again....already too warm for soup.