Cuisine at home Forums
REVIEW: Spiced Meatballs in Fragrant Tomato Sauce - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: REVIEW: Spiced Meatballs in Fragrant Tomato Sauce (/showthread.php?tid=82217)

REVIEW: Spiced Meatballs in Fragrant Tomato Sauce - Trixxee - 05-20-2009

Issue 73, February 2009

The full name is Spiced Meatballs in Fragrant Tomato Sauce w/Eggplant, Zucchini and Cilantro Gremolata. What a mouthful!

Made this last night as a lot of you know after my question about the cornstarch in meatballs. I chickened out and used a little panko as a binder. The recipe turned out great! Both the meatballs and sauce were very flavorful with all the spices (allspice, cumin, coriander, ginger, cinnamon, paprika, thyme). I substituted ground beef for the ground pork & turkey (which was allowed!). The only other changes I made were to leave out the eggplant (just had some) and added extra zucchini. The gremolata went very well with the dish. A note - the recipe yields 24 meatballs. I think I got 15 out it and they were not large meatballs. Twenty-four meatballs is a little optimistic.

Also made the suggested side - Lemon Pastina. I used orzo. That was excellent as well. This side dish will be made with other entrees. Very fresh and light.

Husband loved it. We're having the leftovers tonight. Because I don't usually give a 10 to anything, I'm giving this a 9. Also this is probably not a dish you want to make on a weeknight walking in the door at 6:00 and still having kids' homework to deal with. A lot of ingredients are involved.

Re: REVIEW: Spiced Meatballs in Fragrant Tomato Sauce - cjs - 05-20-2009

Gotta make this, but I'll try the cornstarch, little MS cluck, cluck, cluck...

Re: REVIEW: Spiced Meatballs in Fragrant Tomato Sauce - BarbaraS - 05-20-2009

Quote:

Gotta make this, but I'll try the cornstarch, little MS cluck, cluck, cluck...

Now that's just mean!

Barbara

Re: REVIEW: Spiced Meatballs in Fragrant Tomato Sauce - cjs - 05-20-2009

...but it's lovingly mean, Barbara -

Re: REVIEW: Spiced Meatballs in Fragrant Tomato Sauce - Trixxee - 05-20-2009

Oh please! I've called myself worse when it comes to cooking.

Re: REVIEW: Spiced Meatballs in Fragrant Tomato Sauce - Lorraine - 05-21-2009

I really like that spice combination. Thanks for the review.