Cuisine at home Forums
More New Cookbooks - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: More New Cookbooks (/showthread.php?tid=82541)

More New Cookbooks - bjcotton - 05-26-2009

I went and visited the bookstore again today and checked out most of their cookbooks. I bought three new ones... well, new to me: "200 Years of Charleston Cooking" recipes gathered by Blanche S. Rhett, Revised Edition Copyright, 1934; "Beard on Bread" by James A. Beard, Copyright 1973; "The Fannie Merritt Farmer Boston Cooking School Cookbook" Tenth Edition Completely Revised Published 1964(3rd printing). There was another copy of "Let's Cook It Right" by Adelle Davis but someone had put chapter tabs in it and had written in it a lot. It wasn't in as good a condition as the one I got.

I didn't scan through the cookbooks published by Church groups, etc., or the soft cover or plastic bound books. I will do that on my next trip.

Re: More New Cookbooks - HomeCulinarian - 05-26-2009

While you're at it, you better go to the furniture store for a new bookshelf, too!

Re: More New Cookbooks - HomeCulinarian - 05-27-2009

NPR's 10 Best Summer Cookbooks
Saw this on the NPR feed and some of them look really interesting.

Recommended by T. Susan Chang

Cooking Know-How, by Bruce Weinstein and Mark Scarbrough, Wiley, Hardcover, 416 pages, List Price: $34.95

The Flavors of Asia, by Mai Pham for the Culinary Institute of America, DK Publishing, Hardcover, 272 pages, List Price: $35

Memorable Recipes to Share with Family and Friends, by Renee Behnke with Cynthia Nims, Andrews McMeel Publishing, Hardcover, 256 pages, List Price: $35

The Modern Vegetarian, by Maria Elia, Kyle Books, Hardcover, 160 pages, List Price: $24.95

Preserved, by Nick Sandler and Johnny Acton, Kyle Books, Paperback, 224 pages, List Price: $22.95

Real Cajun, by Donald Link, Crown Publishing Group, Hardcover, 256 pages, List Price: $35

Soaked, Slathered, and Seasoned: A Complete Guide to Flavoring Food for the Grill, By Elizabeth Karmel, Wiley, Paperback, 352 pages, List Price: $19.95

The Spice Kitchen, by Michal Haines, Interlink Publishing Group, Hardcover, 192 pages, List Price: $29.95

Tacos, by Mark Miller, 10 Speed Press, paperback, 176 pages, List Price: $21.95

Vefa's Kitchen, by Vefa Alexiadou, Phaidon Press, Hardcover, 704 pages, List Price: $45

Re: More New Cookbooks - bjcotton - 05-27-2009

I'm already in the market for another bookshelf. The two I've got are full

Re: More New Cookbooks - cjs - 05-28-2009

"Tacos, by Mark Miller, 10 Speed Press, paperback, 176 pages, List Price: $21.95" - Oh my, 176 pages of tacos?????? How fun does that sound.

Recently I've picked up two books that I'm sure enjoying - and one I haven't tried anything from yet.

A16 Food & Wine by Nate Appleman an Shelley Lindgrens

Pintxos (Small plates in the traditional Basque tradtion) by Gerald Hirigoyen

Pasta Italia by Cristina Blasi and Gabriella Mari (haven't made any pastas from it yet)

oh and one other recent book out that I'm having fun with - a Chef's Journey...Home, some interesting recipes from old friends.

Re: More New Cookbooks - farnfam - 05-28-2009

Here's one I was contemplating picking up. Can't make up my mind tho'

http://www.slashfood.com/2009/05/27/carmines-family-style-cookbook-cookbook-spotlight/

Re: More New Cookbooks - Mare749 - 05-28-2009

"oh and one other recent book out that I'm having fun with - a Chef's Journey...Home, some interesting recipes from old friends."

Oh, I have that one!!! It's the best! Everyone should have a copy!

Re: More New Cookbooks - bjcotton - 05-28-2009

"oh and one other recent book out that I'm having fun with - a Chef's Journey...Home, some interesting recipes from old friends." Geez Jean, I wonder where I could get that one? Got that one, now I'm waiting for the next one.