Cuisine at home Forums
Beer Battered Cod/Halibut - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Beer Battered Cod/Halibut (/showthread.php?tid=82742)

Beer Battered Cod/Halibut - cjs - 05-30-2009

Used this batter recipe for the cod and halibut we deep fried last Wednesday night and it is such a tasty and light batter that it will probably be my go to for a while. I did add a little sugar and cayenne to it and we all liked the addition.

Beer-Battered Onion Rings
From MasterCook library

5 ounces flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 tsp. granulated sugar
Pinch cayenne
1 egg
1 cup beer
flour, as needed for dredging
2 pounds onions – whole (or fish, as we did)

1. Sift the dry ingredients together.

2. Beat the egg in a separate bowl. Add the beer to the beaten egg.

3. Add the egg-and-beer mixture to the dry ingredients; mix until smooth.

4. Peel the onions and cut in 1/2-inch (2-centimeter) thick slices.

5. Break the slices into rings and dredge in flour.

6. Dip the rings in the batter a few at a time. Using the swimming method, deep-fry at 375ºF (190ºC) until done. Drain on absorbent paper, season with additional salt and white pepper and serve hot.

-----

I prefer to fry my fish at 350 F. and remove as soon as they hit 140F. man, these were tasty little devils.

Re: Beer Battered Cod/Halibut - Mare749 - 05-30-2009

Sounds fabulous, Jean. Not something I'll be eating for a while (gotta do some damage control) but I'm going to save it for an indulgence down the road.

Re: Beer Battered Cod/Halibut - Gourmet_Mom - 05-30-2009

Oh my goodness! I'll have to try this out this summer! Thanks Jean! I love the other recipe you gave me for Fried Fish Tacos, but I'll give this a try for comparison!

Re: Beer Battered Cod/Halibut - Lorraine - 06-01-2009

I love battered fish, and we have a case of frozen tilapia. Thanks,. Jean.

Re: Beer Battered Cod/Halibut - cjs - 07-23-2011

I have torn my house apart and gone thru every old recipe book I have made and I could not find this recipe for beer batter!! I used to make it so often that I didn't need the recipe, but now I do. I even searched over at C2C (and got hung up reading old, old threads ) and could not find it. But, here it is, thank God.

I sure don't understand the date tho - maybe this one isn't the 'old one' - crap.

Re: Beer Battered Cod/Halibut - Harborwitch - 07-23-2011

Funny you should post this today. I think someone is bringing some fresh caught sturgeon to us today. MMMMMM.

Re: Beer Battered Cod/Halibut - labradors - 07-23-2011

You can make a basic beer batter by just substituting beer for the water in the basic tempura batter.

Thus,
  • 1 Cup Flour
  • 1 Cup Ice-cold water
  • 1 Egg

Becomes
  • 1 Cup Flour
  • 1 Cup Ice-cold BEER
  • 1 Egg
You may add salt, pepper or spices as you wish, but it's usually better just to let the basic batter be a basic batter with the additional flavouring being adding by dipping sauces, etc.

Re: Beer Battered Cod/Halibut - cjs - 07-23-2011

Have to disagree with you on this one, Labs - I love the flavored light batter (by light I mean fairly thin so it's not all deep fried batter) - and this one is perfect.

from above post -
Beer-Battered Onion Rings
From MasterCook library but adapted

5 ounces flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 tsp. granulated sugar
Pinch cayenne
1 egg
1 cup beer
flour, as needed for dredging
2 pounds onions – whole (or fish, as we did)

1. Sift the dry ingredients together.

2. Beat the egg in a separate bowl. Add the beer to the beaten egg.

3. Add the egg-and-beer mixture to the dry ingredients; mix until smooth.

4. Peel the onions and cut in 1/2-inch (2-centimeter) thick slices.

5. Break the slices into rings and dredge in flour.

6. Dip the rings in the batter a few at a time. Using the swimming method, deep-fry at 375ºF (190ºC) until done. Drain on absorbent paper, season with additional salt and white pepper and serve hot.

-----

I prefer to fry my fish at 350 F. and remove as soon as they hit 140F. man, these were tasty little devils.

And, I must say - forget all those dips and cocktail sauces. Just make up a batch of banana ketchup and you're in business.

Re: Beer Battered Cod/Halibut - Harborwitch - 07-23-2011

The beer battered sturgeon was incredible. This morning that fish was swimming in icy cold water - by 4:45 there was batter, sturgeon, and hot oil involved. Mmmmmmmm! Anytime!