Cuisine at home Forums
Roast Suckling Pig anyone? - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Roast Suckling Pig anyone? (/showthread.php?tid=84312)

Roast Suckling Pig anyone? - bjcotton - 07-01-2009

While browsing through "The Spice Cook Book" published in 1964, I came across this recipe. It sounds delicious and I thought you might enjoy reading it if nothing else:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Roast Suckling Pig (with Apple Cider Stuffing)

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : A List Pork-Ham

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
12 pounds ready-to-cook suckling pig
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/16 teaspoon garlic powder

3 tablespoons butter -- melted
2 cups boiling water
1 small red apple
2 maraschino cherries
cranberry necklace
Raisin, Nut, and Apple Cider Stuffing

Wash pig in cold water and wipe dry. Rub the inside of pig with a mixture of the salt, black pepper, and garlic powder. Stuff pig loosely with the Apple Cider Stuffing. Close opening with skewers and lace tightly with a string. Wipe the outside of skin and rub with melted butter. Place a small block of wood in the pig's mouth to brace it for the apple that will be inserted later.

Place the pig, in kneeling position, on a rack in a large shallow pan. Pour 2 cups of boiling water in the pan and cover loosely with foil.

Roast pig in a preheated slow oven (325°F) 5 hours or until meat is tender, basting every 3/4 hour with hot water from the pan. Add more water if necessary. Remove the pig to a large serving platter. Replace the wooden block with the apple. Insert a cherry in each eye socket. Place cranberry necklace around the pig's neck. Garnish platter with parsley and spiced fruit, if desired.

Roast Suckling Pig Gravy: Measure fat in the suckling pig roasting pan. There should be 1/3 cup. Pour it back into the pan and heat. Add 2 1/2 cups hot water or meat stock and stir with a wooden spoon to loosen the brown portion that is sticking to the bottom of the pan. Blend 1/3 cup flour with 1/3 cup water until smooth. Add to the pan liquid. Stir and cook until gravy has reached the desired thickness. Season with 1 tsp salt, 1/16 tsp ground black pepper, and 1/16 tsp garlic powder. Serve hot over meat and stuffing.

Source:
"The Spice Cookbook, pgs 367-368"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

* Exported from MasterCook *

Raisin, Nut, and Apple Cider Stuffing

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : A List Dressings-Stuffings-Dumplings

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
12 cups toasted bread cubes (croutons)
3/4 cup onion flakes
1/4 cup parsley flakes
1 1/2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
3 teaspoons celery seeds
3 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 1/2 cups seedless raisins
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1/2 cup butter -- melted
1 cup apple cider

Combine the first 9 ingredients. Mix well. Stir in butter and cider. Spoon into crop and body cavities of a 10-pound ready-to-cook goose or a 12-pound suckling pig. Close opening with skewers and lace tightly with a string. Make one-third of this recipe if you wish to stuff a ready-to-cook duck.

Source:
"The Spice Cookbook, pg 535"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Re: Roast Suckling Pig anyone? - Mare749 - 07-01-2009

Boy, does that bring back childhood memories for me. When I was a kid, my parents used to buy a piggy from a meat market that would smoke them for you. They were so unbelievably good! I love how this recipe says to make a cranberry necklace. How pretty this would look at the table.

Re: Roast Suckling Pig anyone? - cjs - 07-01-2009

Speaking of memories, from 1983 thru 2003 we raised pigs and kept one for a pig roast every year. Oh my, they were some good tastin' pigs!! spit roasted.

Re: Roast Suckling Pig anyone? - bjcotton - 07-01-2009

I remember that roasting pit and the spit you had up on the hill Jean. I couldn't imagine how you would get a pig on there, but it sure sounded good.