Cuisine at home Forums
New Discovery - Use for Buttermilk - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: New Discovery - Use for Buttermilk (/showthread.php?tid=84950)

New Discovery - Use for Buttermilk - iCook - 07-16-2009

While making a batch of homemade stovetop Mac-n-cheese I discovered I didn't have any milk or cream. I use a recipe I got from Food and Wine about 10 years ago. I had some buttermilk on hand and decided to use that instead. It was really wonderful! My husband loved it and just gobbled it up. I just wanted to pass this on.

Re: New Discovery - Use for Buttermilk - Mare749 - 07-16-2009

Thanks Karen, that's not something I would have thought to try and it's a great idea. I don't always have milk on hand, but I do keep powdered milk and powdered buttermilk in my pantry. Will try it next time.

Re: New Discovery - Use for Buttermilk - Gourmet_Mom - 07-16-2009

Like Maryann, I keep powered on hand all the time...just for such cases. That, and rarely do I need more than a little buttermilk (except for my chicken brine)and buying a quart for a small amount is just wasteful! In the case of the powdered milk, I always have that for Jean's Pizza Dough, which I use a lot and has come in handy during more than one emergency! Another thing I keep in stock is evaporated milk...another life saver in the kitchen!

Re: New Discovery - Use for Buttermilk - Harborwitch - 07-16-2009

I love to use buttermilk in mashed potatoes - can't stand to drink the stuff but love to use it in cooking!

Re: New Discovery - Use for Buttermilk - bjcotton - 07-17-2009

I likes to drink the stuff. Finally went and bought the powdered stuff since it lasts so much longer.

Re: New Discovery - Use for Buttermilk - cjs - 07-17-2009

What a great idea!! I love to use buttermilk in different dishes, but haven't tried this yet.

Now, you're making me think of Uncle Wallace's pancakes!!! )