Cuisine at home Forums
Blueberry Pie? - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Blueberry Pie? (/showthread.php?tid=85137)

Blueberry Pie? - iBcookin - 07-21-2009

My blueberries are coming in fast and furious. I love a good blueberry pie, but I am really picky about the consistency and have never made one that I am satisfied with. I don't want it runny and I don't want it so thick that a fork will stand up in it. Can anybody help me?

Somebody once suggested that I cook the blueberries first with the thickening, then cool, to make sure that I have it just the way I want it. I've never tried this, it would seem to me that the cooking would break down the berries and I would end up with more mush than solid berries.

I figure with all these fab cooks out there, somebody has a recipe tucked away someplace that they make year after year. Willing to share?

Re: Blueberry Pie? - labradors - 07-21-2009

To me, the pies are just TOO much blueberry. That's why I stick with the Blueberry Cottage Pudding. I would imagine someone here must have an appropriate pie recipe, though. Maybe it could also be the amount of time you cook the filling/thickening for the recipe(s) you already do have. Good luck.

Re: Blueberry Pie? - Chefelle - 07-21-2009

Here's the one I do at the shop....very popular.

6 cups of fresh blueberries
1/4 cup of maple syrup
2 tbsp of granulated sugar
2 tbsp of cornstarch
Zest of one lemon
1/2 tsp of salt
1/2 tsp of cinnamon

Toss together and put in pie shell. Top with top crust. Bake and enjoy!

Re: Blueberry Pie? - cjs - 07-21-2009

Nice sounding combination, Debbie - love blueberry pie.

thanks both of you.

Re: Blueberry Pie? - HomeCulinarian - 07-21-2009

We love blueberry pie, too. I've always made the one in my Betty Crocker cookbook that I got in 1978. For a 9" crust:

1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup AP flour
1/2 teasp cinnamon
4 cups fresh blueberries
1 T lemon juice
2 T butter or margarine

Combine dry ingredients and toss with blueberries. Put in crust and then sprinkle with lemon juice and butter. Cover with top crust. Bake at 425 for 35-45 minutes.

But, I am curious about the maple syrup flavor with Debbie's version. Need to give that one a try!

Re: Blueberry Pie? - Gourmet_Mom - 07-21-2009

I was really happy with the filling in the Mixed Berry Slump found in the latest magazine. I made it with blueberries instead of the blackberries and raspberries. I had intended to make this more like a pie, but have not yet. I think the addition of the lemon juice and brandy in the filling is one thing that makes this awesome. The other thing is the lemon zest in the crust.

Re: Blueberry Pie? - iBcookin - 07-21-2009

Thanks, Debbie, hard to believe, I have all the ingredients. I never seem to fail finding something that appeals to me and end up missing one of the ingredients. But I am good on this one - it is a little cool here today so it looks like I will be womping up a pie this afternoon.

I looked at the slump, but I am not sure how I feel about the dumplings on top, plus I don't have the brandy (which seems to be the kicker for Daphne!). I wonder if you could sub amaretto for the brandy?

I am considering subbing the blueberries for the cherries in the buckle recipe. But of course, I have no amaretti cookies and would have to be creative with the crumb topping. But I think it would work with the blueberries.

I'll have to check out the cottage pudding.

Re: Blueberry Pie? - Gourmet_Mom - 07-21-2009

I'm not a big Amaretto fan, so I wouldn't be one to ask...Grand Mariner(that doesn't look right?), yes! Something to compliment the citrus!

BTW, I didn't care for the dumpling aspect either...thus looking at the boiled cobbler topping idea and/or just plain pie crust with lemon zest "rolled" in.

Re: Blueberry Pie? - BarbaraS - 07-21-2009

iB,

When I first made this blueberry pie and brought it over to my folks' house, my sister accused me of not using "real" ingredients. She swore I used canned filling and "spruced" it up!

It has been a fave of my family's for years and it's pretty easy to make.

Wisconsin Double Good (from the Philadelphia Inquirer, God knows when):

One baked pie shell

3/4 C sugar (less if preferred - only to sweeten if berries are not in season)

3 TBS cornstarch

1/8 tsp salt

1/4 C water

1 TBS buttah

1 Tbs lemon juice

Combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a medium saucepan. Add water and 2 C blueberries. At medium heat, stir constantly until mix boils, thickens, and looks glossy. Remove from heat and stir in buttah and lemon juice. Cool.

When cool, stir in the remaining 2 C of blueberries.

Pour into pie crust and chill.

NOTES: I added 1 C of berries to each blueberry step because I thought it needed more and I have a deep pie plate. And sometimes I add a criss-crossed pie crust on top and brush with more buttah and broil for as long as it takes to brown it a bit.

Barbara

Enjoy!!

Re: Blueberry Pie? - HomeCulinarian - 07-21-2009

That sounds really good, too! This thread is coaxing me to make a blueberry pie soon.