Cuisine at home Forums
Measuring a Souffle Dish? - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Measuring a Souffle Dish? (/showthread.php?tid=90261)

Measuring a Souffle Dish? - BarbaraS - 11-14-2009

Last Satruday, at my family's wonderful gathering at my folks' house, I came upon an old souflle dish that my Mom used to use. I remember being warned to tip-toe around the oven while passing through the kitched lest the souffle should fall. Well, my Mom doesn't do much exotic cooking anymore, so I asked for it and she let me have it.

Billy's recipe for cheddar, bacon and egg souffle got me thinking. I'd like to make that, but I have no idea what size this souffle dish is. There is no marking anywhere to be found.

How do you measure a souffle dish?

Barbara

Re: Measuring a Souffle Dish? - Gourmet_Mom - 11-14-2009

Barbara, I am no expert, for sure, but here's what I'd do: I'd just use a measuring cup and measure out water until it was full. This should tell you how many quarts/cups it will hold. That's my two cents. Let's see what the others say.

BTW, that souffle is really good! I couldn't believe how easy it was to make a souffle. I didn't have a proper souffle dish, but I made it work with what I had. Came out perfect!

Re: Measuring a Souffle Dish? - Roxanne 21 - 11-14-2009

I would say about 6 inches diameter with about 5 1/2-3/4 inch depth----four cup capacity,or thereabouts. The height is the most important for a souffle........that was a really great recipe---I made that along with him!!!

Let us know your review----good/bad/indifferent!!!

Re: Measuring a Souffle Dish? - BarbaraS - 11-14-2009

Okay, so I just measured it. It's 8" in diameter and 4" high. About 1/2" from the top, the sides flare out just a tad. I was able to put 8 cups of water and it came to the within 1/2" from the very top. I'm guessing you don't fill a souffle dish to the top, you need room for it to rise.

So would this work for Billy's souffle?

Barbara

You need a dish that has straight sides----a MUST!!!! No flare---sorry!!! Your dish does not sound as though it is a souffle dish. IMHO----this will not work for Billy's recipe

Re: Measuring a Souffle Dish? - Gourmet_Mom - 11-14-2009

Barbara, I'd go with it. The recipe calls for a 1 1/2 quart souffle dish, and you've got it.

Quote:

You need a dish that has straight sides----a MUST!!!! No flare---sorry!!! Your dish does not sound as though it is a souffle dish. IMHO----this will not work for Billy's recipe

It's not quite a "flare" - my bad. Can't really describe it.

But I know for a fact my Mom used this for souffles.

Barbara

You will need a collar though----straight sides!!!

I stand to be corrected on this, however---

What's a collar?

When I do a Google on images for souffle dishes, mine looks exactly like the ones pictured.

Barbara

Here is a site that you might want to visit---it explains all that you are asking----I learned that the dish can be 8 inches but I have always used the 6 inch with GREAT results---GOOD LUCK!!!

http://www.baking911.com/howto/souffle.htm