Cuisine at home Forums
Slow Cooker BBQ Beef Brisket - REVIEW - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Slow Cooker BBQ Beef Brisket - REVIEW (/showthread.php?tid=90953)

Slow Cooker BBQ Beef Brisket - REVIEW - Gourmet_Mom - 11-23-2009

Jean! Make the sauce....Make the sauce!!!!!!!!

Oh my! Shannon, you hit a home run with this one! The boys and I give this at least a 9! I'll reserve a 10 for the "fresh" brisket that I will be hunting for the next...FOREVER! If I don't find it in the next week or two, I'll be fixing the Corned Beef, but I'll buy two. One wasn't enough for the three of us! I had to hold a knife to keep them from taking my share for lunch tomorrow!

Since I was only doing a 2 1/2 pound Corned Beef Brisket, I considered halving the sauce/gravy. But then I remembered you said the juice/gravy was so good on the mashers, I figured...why not! I'm glad I didn't halve it. I had WAY more than 2 cups of defatted liquid left. I guess that came from the fact I was using the Corned Beef instead of fresh. There is LOTS of sauce/gravy left, but I have been told I better not throw it out! I'll be curious to compare the amount and the difference in flavor. If it gets any better than tonight, well, let's just say, I don't think that's possible.

Here's Shannon's comments and recipe from the Menu Planning thread. I decided it deserved it's own thread.

Haven't been able to do much cooking until just recently, so I don't have an extensive list. Just wanted to share an outstanding recipe. Made it last weekend when both my chilluns were home and my daughter said this was so good it could bring tears to her eyes. So here goes:

Slow Cooker BBQ Beef Brisket

Scoring the fat on the brisket at 1/2 inch intervals will allow the rub to penetrate the meat. Two disposable aluminum loaf pans stacked inside one another can substitute for the meat loaf pan.

SPICE RUB AND BRISKET

1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
2 Tablespoons minced canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
1 Tablespoon ground cumin
1 Tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons pepper
1 (4 -5 pound) brisket roast, fat trimmed to 1/4 inch and scored lightly

AROMATICS AND SAUCE

3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped fine
2 Tablespoons tomato paste
1 Tablespoon chili powder
1 Tablespoon minced canned chipotle chiles in adobo
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup ketchup
1 Tablespoon cider vinegar
1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke

1. Rub: Combine sugar, chipotle, cumin, paprika, salt, and pepper in bowl. Rub sugar mixture all over brisket. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit at room temperature for 1 hour or refrigerate for up to 24 hours.

2. Cook: Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering Cook onion until softened, about 5 minutes. Add tomato paste and cook until beginning to brown, about 1 minute. Stir in chili powder, chipotle, and garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Mound onion mixture in center of slow cooker, arrange inverted metal loaf pan over onion mixture, and place brisket, fat-side up, on top of loaf pan. Add water to slow cooker, cover and cook on high until fork inserted into brisket can be remove with no resistance, 7 to 8 hours ( or cook on low for 10 to 12 hours).

3. Rest: Transfer brisket to 13- by 9-inch baking dish, cover with foil, and let rest 30 minutes. Carefully remove loaf pan from slow cooker. Pour onion mixture and accumulated juices into large bowl and skim fat. (You should have about 2 cups defatted juices; if you have less, supplement with water).

4. Sauce: Transfer brisket to cutting board, slice thinly across grain, and return to baking dish. Pour 1 cup reserved defatted juices over sliced brisket. Whisk ketchup, vinegar, and liquid smoke into remaining juices. Sason with salt and pepper. Serve, passing sauce at table.

Make Ahead: in step 3, wrap brisket tightly in foil and refrigerate for up to 3 days. (Refrigerate juices separately in airtight container.) To serve, transfer foil-wrapped brisket to baking dish and heat in 350 degree oven aend cook until brisket is heated through, about 1 hour. Reheat juices in microwave or saucepan set over medium heat. Continue with recipe as directed.

Cook's Country
February/March 2009

Just delicious. The upside down pan in the cooker accumulates the juices underneath it so be careful when removing it.

Side: Mashed potatoes are a must!

--------------------
Shannon

Re: Slow Cooker BBQ Beef Brisket - REVIEW - esgunn - 11-23-2009

Daphne, Thanks for putting this one in it's own thread - and the review! I could not remember where the first review was posted. Will put this on the list - might have to wait for hubby to get home. I am not sure the kids can do the chipotle peppers. They do a little spice, but not that much. Sure sounds good though.

Re: Slow Cooker BBQ Beef Brisket - REVIEW - Gourmet_Mom - 11-23-2009

To be honest, Erin, I'm a wimp when it comes to heat, but this didn't seem that hot to me. YS tasted the onion mix after I strained it to defat the liquid and before I added the ketchup, vinegar, and liquid smoke and said "WHEW". Well, DUH! (Check out what makes up that mix and you'll see what I mean. It had been able to intensify for almost 24 hours, too!) But after I added the defatted juice and other stuff, it didn't seem so bad. PLUS, you can control the heat. Shannon said she didn't put any juice directly on the meat, just added it all to the "gravy". The meat doesn't cook in the juices, so I don't think it would be that bad without it.

I'd definitely wait for hubby, but I think you'll be surprised at the amount of heat. The chipotle adds just a little heat but mega flavor to this recipe!

Re: Slow Cooker BBQ Beef Brisket - REVIEW - cjs - 11-24-2009

I took mine out of the cooker last night and refrigerated it, so I'll finish it up today. It sure smelled good yesterday cooking.

Re: Slow Cooker BBQ Beef Brisket - REVIEW - cjs - 11-29-2009

Bringing this to the top because it was so darn good!! Poor Roy really overate!! Good thing I had to pkg. it up in separate pkgs. or it probably would have all been gone.

The corned beef worked great and if a brisket turns out better, I can't imagine how good that will be!!!

Re: Slow Cooker BBQ Beef Brisket - REVIEW - Harborwitch - 11-29-2009

This sounds so good that I think I'll have to look for a brisket this week - wonder if this would work with venison?

Re: Slow Cooker BBQ Beef Brisket - REVIEW - cjs - 11-29-2009

what wouldn't???

Re: Slow Cooker BBQ Beef Brisket - REVIEW - Gourmet_Mom - 11-29-2009

That's a good idea, Sharon! This stuff is soooo good!

Re: Slow Cooker BBQ Beef Brisket - REVIEW - Gourmet_Mom - 03-03-2016

Although, there is this as an option for St. Paddy's Day, also.

Re: Slow Cooker BBQ Beef Brisket - REVIEW - cjs - 03-03-2016

Wow, forgot about this! Decisions, decisions ....