Cuisine at home Forums
My Gram's Holiday Salad - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: My Gram's Holiday Salad (/showthread.php?tid=90970)

My Gram's Holiday Salad - foodfiend - 11-23-2009

I grew up with this salad being on our table for every Thanksgiving and Christmas. Served on my Mom's white, silver-rimmed salad plate, dolloped on a leaf of iceberg lettuce, with a spoonful of mayo on top (not on mine, though).

I made this for our first Thanksgiving, 25 years ago, when we were married and I invited my in-laws over since we couldn't make it to be with my family (I worked in retail then). My SIL poked a little fun at the "jello salad" but she soon regretted her words.

This salad is full of surprises. Bound together by just a little gelatin, there is the tang of cranberry, crunch of celery, crisp of apple, juiciness of orange pieces, crunch of nuts-- all rolled into one bite! I could eat a whole bowlful by myself.

And I decided to share it with you guys, I don't even think that I've posted it on my blog before.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Gram's Holiday Salad

Recipe By: Myrtle Zimmerman
Servings: 10

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 cups water
1 3/4 cups sugar
2 cups fresh cranberries
2 envelopes unflavored gelatin(envelope)
1 cup cold water
1 cup chopped nuts -- pecans, walnuts, or mix
1 cup chopped celery
2 medium Granny Smith apples -- chopped
2 medium oranges -- peeled, sectioned, and chopped

Boil 2 cups water and sugar for 5 minutes.

Add cranberries and boil for an additional 5 minutes

Mix gelatin and 1 cup cold water in a small bowl. Add to cranberry mixture and stir until completely dissolved.

Chill until soft (will take about 1-1/2 to 2 hours), then fold in remaining ingredients. Transfer to a serving bowl, if desired.

Cover tightly and chill overnight.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving: 264 Calories (kcal); 8g Total Fat; (26% calories from fat); 4g Protein; 47g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 18mg Sodium

This will be my fourth Thanksgiving without my Gram. She loved to cook for her family, loved the holidays when we could get together, and even if I couldn't be with her on Thanksgiving every year, I would still call her and we would talk about our dinner. Gram gave me my first cookbook when I was, I think, 6 years old!

She's making some wonderful turkey dinners for Grandpa in heaven, now. And I had her for over 47 years, so even though I miss her terribly, I am still very grateful.

Re: My Gram's Holiday Salad - Mare749 - 11-23-2009

Vicci, this sounds wonderful! It's similar to one that my mom made and the recipe disappeared. Thank you for sharing this with us!

Re: My Gram's Holiday Salad - Gourmet_Mom - 11-24-2009

Vicci this is a beautiful story. This recipe looks really good also. I like the tart of the cranberries, the acid from the orange, and the sweet crunch of the apples. LOL! I almost said it seemed to cry out for nuts, then looked back and realized they were in there also! I may just have to give this a try. OIY! My list of dishes to prepare is growing...LOL!

Re: My Gram's Holiday Salad - cjs - 11-24-2009

This does sound so tasty.

Re: My Gram's Holiday Salad - Roxanne 21 - 11-24-2009

Gelatin things are not one of our favorite things but this sure does sound great----any Gram recipe is one that is in my repetoire----THANKS for that....now to find gelatine that will work in this recipe---- BUT I WILL!!!