Cuisine at home Forums
Apple Pie - North Dakota Style - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Apple Pie - North Dakota Style (/showthread.php?tid=91116)

Apple Pie - North Dakota Style - Harborwitch - 11-26-2009

We just got home from our first ND Thanksgiving. There had to be 25 or 30 people there, not counting late comers. The food was incredible - ham, turkey, stuffing, and all the trimmings.

We'd been told that they weren't drinkers, so no wine, no beer, nothing, nada. One of the family came in with a case of wine (we thought). He asked if we'd like some "apple pie" as he pulled an icy bottle of Everclear that was the color of tea out of the box. "Well sure" we all said, sensing that there was alcohol involved.

Here in North Dakota you have to think of things to drink that won't freeze when you leave them on the back porch. So here's Apple Pie.

1 gallon apple cider - filtered.
1/2 gallon apple juice
9 sticks of cinnamon

Combine in a pot and boil for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and add between 2 and 3 cups of sugar (2 1/4 c. recommended). Return to a boil for 15 minutes.

Remove from the heat, remove cinnamon sticks, and chill thoroughly. (Place on the back porch overnight??? )

When completely cool add 1 750ml bottle of Everclear. Stir well, chill and enjoy. This makes a lot!

Re: Apple Pie - North Dakota Style - Old Bay - 11-26-2009

I'm so sorry Sharon.

Re: Apple Pie - North Dakota Style - Gourmet_Mom - 11-27-2009

Bill, I'll assume that was a sarcastic remark...LOL!

Mercy, Sharon! And I thought a fifth of Everclear was "the deal" poured into a watermelon and left to chill at Fourth of July!!!!! I'll have to try the Thanksgiving version! Thanks!

Re: Apple Pie - North Dakota Style - Harborwitch - 11-27-2009

I'm sorry you and Jane couldn't be there! The "apple pie" was sooooooo good. We'll have to have some on hand when you come to visit!

LOL, Sharon! I think we were posting at the same time!

I think we all need to have an East Coast gathering! I'll be in charge of the Everclear! Your "recipe" sounds good, but we have a thing here called PJ! It is made with everclear, but the mixer is purple! You'd like it!I

Re: Apple Pie - North Dakota Style - Harborwitch - 11-27-2009

Oh please tell me it isn't grape. HeeeeHeee. You're right - we need a meeting, kind of central here.

Re: Apple Pie - North Dakota Style - foodfiend - 11-27-2009

Everclear? Off to Google!

It's grain alcohol! I haven't had the stuff since college (garbage-can punch...). Personally, I think that doubling the alcohol amount as spiced rum would work nicely (but, then, Daphne knew that I would suggest this!)

Sharon, if memory serves, it's more a punch, but probably with lots of grape...thus the PJ (Purple Juice). It's been a long time, and I never ACTUALLY made it, so I'll have to check on the ingredients. I think Vicci's garbage can punch is probably the same thing with a different name!