Cuisine at home Forums
T.G.I.F. Dinner - 12/4??? - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: T.G.I.F. Dinner - 12/4??? (/showthread.php?tid=91582)

T.G.I.F. Dinner - 12/4??? - cjs - 12-04-2009

I have a piece of corned beef to use up so I'm on a mission to find something interesting - other than sandwiches or the Reuben casserole....

What are you all up to?

Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner - 12/4??? - chef_Tab - 12-04-2009

Sorry I can't help you with the corned beef, I always like hash.

I am making chicken cacciatore tonight. And am real excited to finally try that green bean soup for lunch tomorrow.

Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner - 12/4??? - - 12-04-2009

We are trying some tofu soup with soba noodles, bok choy, shitake mushrooms, vegetable broth and some other things that I can't remember. Mister has developed some health issues and needs tons of proteins but no sugar, and all the other bad stuff. So this is going to be a new experience. I have only had tofu in scrambled eggs. Mister had it many times when he was on the other side of the world while in the Army - so we will see - corned beef sounds a lot better to me!!

Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner - 12/4??? - chef_Tab - 12-04-2009

Sonja, are you doing the silken tofu and kind of blending it into the soup? Or will it be more like chunks? I love it when it is fried crisp!

Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner - 12/4??? - piano226 - 12-04-2009

Having left over honey baked ham and attempting to make Boston baked beans from scratch. We shall see how that comes out

Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner - 12/4??? - Trixxee - 12-04-2009

I'm making "greek style penne with lamb, tomatoes, cinnamon and feta". I have some leftover potato rosemary bread too. We'll carb out!

Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner - 12/4??? - HomeCulinarian - 12-04-2009

I have no idea... We've just cleaned out the leftovers from the fridge for lunch today. We've got a dance to go to tonight, so probably some soup from the freezer and a little salad for a late dinner.

Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner - 12/4??? - cjs - 12-04-2009

going with corned beef sandwiches with Emmanthaler. Found some Butternut squash soup in the freezer that is supposed to go over Brussels sprouts hash, but I just oven roasted them to go with it and I'm topping it all with a great new pesto - pine nut. Just made it and is it ever tasty!!! Must be hundreds of things to use it on/in besides off a spoon as Roy and I have been doing since I finished it.

Pine Nut Pesto -
This was developed to top a Roasted Veggie platter from a Food & Wine recipe

1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup + 2 T. pine nuts
1 T. unsalted butter
1 large garlic clove, thinly sliced
1/4 cup gratd Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese

In a small skillet, heat 1 T. of the olive oil. Add the pine nuts and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until they are lightly browned, about 2 (or 4) minutes. Add the butter and garlic and cook, stirring, until the pine nuts are browned and the garlic is golden, about 2 minutes.

Let cool, then transfer to a mini processor.

Add the grated cheese and the remaining 3 T. olive oil and pulse to a chunky puree. Season with salt.

Can be made ahead and refrigerated overnight. Bring to room temp. before serving.

----

Wait till you taste this by itself on a cracker.....wow!!

Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner - 12/4??? - - 12-04-2009

We are using the firm tofu and dicing it - then it gets a saute (I think) and then put in the soup - What do you fry it in? (Oil, butter, etc.?) As I said, this is my first try with this

Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner - 12/4??? - cjs - 12-04-2009

I've been wanting to play more with tofu also - I think I use once every year or so, so really need to learn more about it. Will be anxious to hear how you and Mister like it, Sonja.