Cuisine at home Forums
Dinner - Tuesday, Jan. 5th?? - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Dinner - Tuesday, Jan. 5th?? (/showthread.php?tid=93549)

Dinner - Tuesday, Jan. 5th?? - cjs - 01-05-2010

LEFTOVERS AGAIN!! but tonight's the last night of them (except what was put in the freezer....don't whine Jean!)
I have polenta, cooked steaks, and overcooked green beans.

What are you all up to?

Re: Dinner - Tuesday, Jan. 5th?? - chef_Tab - 01-05-2010

Leftovers of some sort here too. The last of the visitors have left the building and I have a horrible head cold. I plan to sleep a lot and just warm up whatever I can forage from the fridge.

Re: Dinner - Tuesday, Jan. 5th?? - - 01-05-2010

Sounds like you need a hot toddy, Theresa - we are having chili.

Re: Dinner - Tuesday, Jan. 5th?? - Old Bay - 01-05-2010

I made some chili last nite to eat tonight. A good friend lost his daughter to cancer last nite after a long fight--I'm taking half of the chili to him and his family. We'll take them a pork loin tomorrow.

Re: Dinner - Tuesday, Jan. 5th?? - Trixxee - 01-05-2010

Well, I'm taking a couple of ideas from Issue 79 and combining them. I'm making the Five-Jewel-Rice Stuffed Chicken Breasts though I'm making the rice on the side. I can't stuff boneless tenders very well. And serving it over wilted spinach as the veggie.

Re: Dinner - Tuesday, Jan. 5th?? - cjs - 01-05-2010

or maybe this will make you feel better, Theresa -

* Exported from MasterCook *

ALCOHOLIC HOT CHOCOLATE - Nigella Lawson

2 cups milk
3 1/2 ounces best-quality dark chocolate -- bittersweet or semisweet, as preferred
1 cinnamon stick
2 teaspoons honey
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons dark rum -- or to taste

Put the milk into a saucepan and break the chocolate into pieces and add to the milk along with a cinnamon stick, honey, and sugar and heat gently until the chocolate is melted.

Add the vanilla and mix with a small hand whisk and still whisking, add a spoonful of the rum first and taste to see if you want more. Add more sugar if you want this sweeter, too. Take out the cinnamon stick and pour into 2 cappuccino or caffe latte cups.
Description:
"Recipe courtesy Nigella Lawson"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
forgot there is rum in this - Vicci, hurry up and get a cold...

Re: Dinner - Tuesday, Jan. 5th?? - chef_Tab - 01-05-2010

Bill, I am so sorry to hear of your friend's loss. Parents should never have to bury their children. How kind of you to bring them food.

Jean, you are so naughty. I made this shortly after you posted it the last time and we loved it. Of course I was a bit more liberal with the rum than 2 Tbl. Hmmmm, I do have lots of chocolate laying around from the holidays......

Re: Dinner - Tuesday, Jan. 5th?? - cjs - 01-05-2010

Oh Bill, I completely missed this - how awful for the family. I just can not imagine what they are going through.

Theresa, we do what we have to do...

Re: Dinner - Tuesday, Jan. 5th?? - DFen911 - 01-05-2010

HHmm Jean I can't decide...do I ruin good chocolate with rum, or ruin the rum with good chocolate? Either way it's a win

Tonight is whole grain pasta night with veggies. We're staying on track with eating more grains, less fat, and exercising more.

Re: Dinner - Tuesday, Jan. 5th?? - Gourmet_Mom - 01-05-2010

I'm so sorry to hear about your friends. I agree, parents shouldn't have to bury their children.

Oh, that chocolate.....MMMMMMMM!

Tonight we're having Pork Chops with Zesty Sauce - J. Pepin with garlic mashed potatoes and probably a salad. Jean posted this a while back...September '07. I stumbled onto it not too long ago and thought the flavors sounded good.