Cuisine at home Forums
Blueberry Slump - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Blueberry Slump (/showthread.php?tid=93641)

Blueberry Slump - Harborwitch - 01-06-2010

It's a cold, nasty night and there's a whole lot of snow between the mobile and the woodshop where all my C@H's are. It just sounds so good - if anyone has the recipe handy and can post it I'd be very happy! Thanks.

I'm sitting here watching the snow blow by the windows. Wow!

Re: Blueberry Slump - Gourmet_Mom - 01-06-2010

Shoot, I've made this...it's very good...but I must have cooked it straight from the book. It's not in my MC. I'll start it, but I may have to come back to it in a few minutes...gotta blanch some spinach!

Re: Blueberry Slump - BarbaraS - 01-06-2010

Sharon,

Was this a c@H recipe? I just looked up indexes about Blueberry and Slump and didn't find anything.

???

Barbara

Re: Blueberry Slump - Lorraine - 01-06-2010

Sorry I don't have my recipe. If you google "Blueberry Grunt", you should get some recipes. Sure wish I had some blueberries!

This is totally unedited, so be careful if something looks weird. I'll back in a few to double check.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Mixed Berry Slump

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
For the Dough
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon lemon zest -- minced
1/8 teaspoon table salt
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup buttermilk
1 egg -- beaten
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Filling
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 pints raspberries
1 pint blackberries
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup brandy -- or apple juice
2 tablespoons lemon juice
3 tablespoons cornstarch

Combine flour, 2 T sugar, baking powder, lemon zest, and salt for the dough in a bowl. Using a pastry blender, cut 2 T butter into dry ingredients until mixture resembles small peas. Stir in buttermilk, egg, and vanilla, just until combined.

Heat 2 T butter for the filling in a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add berries, 1 cup sugar, and brandy. Bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until fruit begins to break down, about 3 minutes. Combine lemon juice and cornstarch until mixture forms a smooth slurry. Stir slurry into fruit; simmer mixture until filling thickens.

Drop T of batter onto fruit filling (an ice cream scoop works well for this). Try to keep dumplings from touching each other. Cover slump with skillet lid; reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer slump until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Let cool 5-10 minutes before serving.

Description:
"Depending on the region it comes from, this specialty dessert may be called a grunt."

Okay...edited! You're good to go!

Re: Blueberry Slump - Harborwitch - 01-06-2010

Thank you all - Daphne you are an angel.

There is NO way I'm having you out in the sub zero weather! If I can help...I'm on it! Enjoy...it is very good...the filling, anyway. I want to rework that one as a pie or cobbler. I was a little turned off with the dumplings....too "bread-y". Maybe if I used the small scoop instead of the larger one. I LOVED the brandy in it, though! It really made a difference!

Re: Blueberry Slump - farnfam - 01-06-2010

Ok, so it's a dessert?? I was thinking this better be an alcoholic beverage and a hot one at that......but maybe it's something you take Prozac for???
I won't even tell you what I think Blueberry GRUNT is

You know, I hadn't thought about that. It DOES sound like a drink! Yea, Grunt does sound disgusting...LOL!

I hope you're feeling better Cis!

Re: Blueberry Slump - Harborwitch - 01-06-2010

The stir-fry was wonderful - we pigged out, so the slump/grunt is on the menu for tomorrow night. Thank you again Daphne - we'll be feasting tomorrow night.