Cuisine at home Forums
Couscous Dumpling Review - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Couscous Dumpling Review (/showthread.php?tid=93749)

Couscous Dumpling Review - cjs - 01-08-2010

from issue #32, page 27 -

[Image: CouscousDumplings.jpg]

These are delicious!! And I'm not even a dumpling person! Fast, easy and so many ways to use them.

The recipe is part of a Moroccan (sp?) dish with chicken, preserved lemons, kalamatas & spices, but I just used some of my oven-roasted cherry tomatoes (from this summer) and doctored it up. Did brown some chicken breasts and added them to the sauce. What a great easy dinner this was.

Re: Couscous Dumpling Review - labradors - 01-08-2010

An intriguing idea. Unfortunately, this would be one where I couldn't substitute the marmahon, since it's too big. Looks like it's time for me to try nudging the various store managers again.

Re: Couscous Dumpling Review - cjs - 01-08-2010

"where I couldn't substitute the marmahon" - got me! What is 'marmahon' it's not in my FLC.

Re: Couscous Dumpling Review - labradors - 01-08-2010

It's a small, BB-sized pasta of Arab origin and is popular here. I have mentioned it here before, when certain recipes called for couscous (e.g. the Couscous with Peas from Daphne's dinner review almost a year ago).

[Image: im001377.jpg]

Re: Couscous Dumpling Review - Gourmet_Mom - 01-08-2010

Sounds interesting Jean.

Re: Couscous Dumpling Review - farnfam - 01-09-2010

Sounds yummy, Jean. I wonder if it could convert for Crockpot and add dumpling in the last 1/2 hour or so?

Labs, I wonder if Quinoa could work, if that's even available for you. I myself have only just recently discovered it at a Hannaford's in Watertown

Re: Couscous Dumpling Review - labradors - 01-09-2010

Cis,

Quinoa is something I've seen mentioned in the forum periodically, but have never seen in the stores.

Re: Couscous Dumpling Review - cjs - 01-09-2010

quinoa has to cook longer than couscous, so don't know if it would work as a sub.

Cis, I bet it would work in a slow cooker....I'm going to try this also - the recipe mentions the dumplings should be cooked gently so they don't break up, so what's more gentle than a slow cooker. good idea.

Re: Couscous Dumpling Review - Trixxee - 01-09-2010

Quote:

It's a small, BB-sized pasta of Arab origin and is popular here. I have mentioned it here before, when certain recipes called for couscous (e.g. the Couscous with Peas from Daphne's dinner review almost a year ago).

[Image: im001377.jpg]

I think that is called Israeli couscous around here.

Re: Couscous Dumpling Review - cjs - 01-09-2010

That's what I was thinking when I saw that, Trixxee.