Cuisine at home Forums
Parsnip Soup - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Parsnip Soup (/showthread.php?tid=94130)

Parsnip Soup - Harborwitch - 01-11-2010

This is so incredible. Easy, and very very tasty! Oh, did I mention that this was perfect with the Reuben Pizza???

Parsnip Soup with Corned Beef & Cabbage

Ingredients

* 3 (1/8-inch-thick) slices cooked corned beef (4 ounces), fat trimmed, chopped (3 tablespoons reserved, divided)
* 2 Turkish bay leaves
* 2 large parsnips (about 13 ounces), peeled, coarsely chopped
* 2 cups chopped onions
* 3 cups (or more) low-salt chicken broth
* 3 large savoy cabbage leaves, center ribs removed
* 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream

Preparation

Sauté 2 tablespoons corned beef fat and bay leaves in large saucepan over medium-high heat until fat renders, about 2 minutes. Stir in parsnips and onions. Add 3 cups broth. Cover; simmer until parsnips are tender, about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, cut cabbage and corned beef slices crosswise into very thin strips. Melt 1 tablespoon fat in medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add cabbage and corned beef. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss until cabbage wilts, about 3 minutes.
Working in batches, puree soup with bay leaves and cream in blender until smooth. Return to same pan. Rewarm soup, thinning with more broth if too thick. Season with salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls. Mound corned beef and cabbage in center.

Re: Parsnip Soup - Gourmet_Mom - 01-12-2010

Sharon, this sounds good and very easy. I'm wondering, I can get pastrami easier than corned beef unless I cook it myself. Do you think that would work as a sub...isn't that pretty much what pastrami is? Kinda?

BTW, whatcha think about the pizza?!?!?!?

Re: Parsnip Soup - cjs - 01-12-2010

That does sound good - "puree soup with bay leaves" - don't think I've ever seen that.

Re: Parsnip Soup - Harborwitch - 01-12-2010

For some reason I've lost my bay leaves - so I used some Penzeys bay leaf seasoning, just a bit. Yummy and really easy. For only a 1/4 c. of cream it's certainly creamy.

Re: Parsnip Soup - pjcooks - 01-17-2010

Wow, is this one good, Sharon! I'm going to bring some over to my folks, my Mom loves parsnips. I can also see this working with some nice ham. I just used a little olive oil, and wilted the cabbage with some chicken stock. I don't think I used the whole 1/4 c of cream either, since I only had a few tablespoons left.

Thanks so much for the recipe!

PJ

Re: Parsnip Soup - Harborwitch - 01-17-2010

You're quite welcome. We just loved this soup! I agree; it would be good with ham, or a little bacon even. Yum.