Cuisine at home Forums
ISO - Pork Belly Recipe - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: ISO - Pork Belly Recipe (/showthread.php?tid=94300)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Re: ISO - Pork Belly Recipe - Lorraine - 01-17-2010

Quote:

I want to know what you're going to do with pork jowls

Smoked pork jowls are readily available here, usually in small packages. I try to keep some in the freezer. I usually fry some, then add cabbage and tomatoes and let it cook down. Last night he cut some into lardons, fried it, and used it as a pizza topping. You don't need much, a little goes a long way.

Re: ISO - Pork Belly Recipe - Gourmet_Mom - 01-17-2010

All I've seen is in large packages. I think I'll see if my butcher will package me a small amount and try it first. Your cabbage and tomatoes reminds me of how Mom used to season butter beans or cabbage. She would fry out some "streak-o-lean" (similar to salt pork, but with a small streak of lean pork in it) before adding the veggies and water to cook. So now the jowls make sense. Thanks, Lorraine.

Re: ISO - Pork Belly Recipe (Porchetta) - cjs - 10-16-2012

Here's a thread re porchetta (and pork belly) that Bill wanted brought to the top - has lots of ideas in it.

Re: ISO - Pork Belly Recipe (Porchetta) - Old Bay - 10-16-2012

Quote:

Here's a thread re porchetta (and pork belly) that Bill wanted brought to the top - has lots of ideas in it.

You all take a look at that porchetta---really getting popular--I made one very similar and got the skin like "cracklins" all around--such a variety in textures and flavor--not hard at all--worth it--let the final product dry in fridge 2 days before cooking.

Re: ISO - Pork Belly Recipe (Porchetta) - cjs - 10-17-2012

And, here is one more porchetta idea that I cut out of a Plate magazine a while back - Needs a tad of adjusting for quantity.

PORCHETTA
Executive Chef Erin Williams
Olympic Provisions - Portland, Ore., USA

Yield: 20 servings

Cold water 1 gal
Kosher salt 1 C
Sugar 1/2 C
Pork belly, 10- to 12-Lb 1 each
Olive oil as needed
Italian sausage
4 Lb
Maple syrup (optional) as needed
Sea salt as needed
Eggs as needed
Toast as needed

1. Combine water, salt and sugar. Submerge belly in brine, top with a weight so it stays submerged and refrigerate 24 hours.

2. Remove belly from brine, pat dry, then halve belly crosswise. For each porchetta roast, turn belly skin-side down. Pack 2 pounds sausage down middle of each belly half lengthwise and roll up tightly to form a log. Tie with butcher’s twine. Sear porchetta in olive oil until brown on all sides. Roast in a rotisserie or 375-degree F oven until internal temperature registers 135 degrees F, about 2 hours. Cool to room temperature and refrigerate overnight.

3. To serve, slice porchetta crosswise into 1-inch pieces. Heat olive oil in a cast-iron pan. Brown porchetta on both sides until crispy and thoroughly warmed through. Glaze with maple syrup (if using), season with sea salt, and serve with eggs and toast.

[Image: porchetta.jpg]
doesn't that just look good...

Re: ISO - Pork Belly Recipe (Porchetta) - Gourmet_Mom - 10-17-2012

Jean, you're killing me! That looks so good!

Re: ISO - Pork Belly Recipe (Porchetta) - Gourmet_Mom - 10-20-2012

Just had to share! Just saw this on Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives! Pork Belly Corn Dogs!

Re: ISO - Pork Belly Recipe (Porchetta) - labradors - 10-20-2012

Quote:

Just had to share! Just saw this on Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives! Pork Belly Corn Dogs!

Episode name?

Restaurant name and city?

Re: ISO - Pork Belly Recipe (Porchetta) - Gourmet_Mom - 10-20-2012

Here's a link to the video. Confit Pork Belly Corndog

Re: ISO - Pork Belly Recipe (Porchetta) - Harborwitch - 10-21-2012

You're killing me here. We have eaten the most amazing pork belly here - Jean did such an amazing variety! I'll check that out when we get home . . . battery dying!